Views
Helpful
Replies

Tiny network setup

cknox1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I want to create a small network based on internet only - we will be getting an internet connection, but I want to use as little LAN devices as possible.

If the ISP is giving us a router with the internet connection I am assuming we will just need switches and a firewall.. or could i get away with no firewall if the provider's router will be doing the NAT?

Any help will be appreciated 

5 Replies 5

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

If your traffics flows are always sourced from the inside of your network, ie you will not require site-to-site VPNs, remote access VPNs or static NAT to expose external services to the internet then the standard ISP router should be sufficient.

As for switches, very basic Layer2 switches sound like the perfect fit. Out of the box they all switches will be access-VLAN1 and should work without any additional configuration.

cheers,

Seb.

Hello Seb,

Thank you for your reply! :)

Is there any case when an ISP would not provide a router? Because in that case I would need router or Layer 3 switch to act as a default gateway as well as provide DHCP function...

It depends on the type of contract and ISP you are dealing with. Low-end routers are so cheap they are sadly considered throw away items. It is highly likely an ISP would send you one.

If they don't, then the decision to buy a router or a layer3 switch depends on how the ISP presents your internet connection. What sort of internet service are you buying?

Hi Seb,

At this point I am not sure... I think it may be a fibre circuit

I have always known them to provide you one to do the NAT etc ... but I still need to work on this.

I will keep you updated - Thank you for your help on this 

petamoris59921
Level 1
Level 1

The network setup is a difficult things to do. lan connectivity as well as wireless connectivity both needs to set up with router. to set up router visit linksys e1200 setup . 

the switches and firewall needs to be with connect with proper static ip. some time little lan device gives good internet connection . 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card