cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Total Number of Routes

bw3481
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know if there is a known or documented total number of routes that a 26xx router can support. for example, can the 2621 handle greater then 2000 routers, greater then 10000.

Thanks,

5 Replies 5

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

I doubt if this is documented anywhere, but I can say that it strictly depends on memory on the router. Each routing entry eats up space in memory and the number of routes it can hold will depend on how much DRAM you have. You will need DRAM space, not only for these routes to be stored, but also for other processes to run without loading the CPU. Max out the memory on the router and it will help!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

I was leaning toward a 2621 with 16mb ram. I have another vendor's router that states a limit on the number of routes that are supported within it.

The size of the route table in memory will depend on the kind of routing used.

OSPF > RIP > Static

We are using OSPF only

Hi, it depends on the size of your RAM. Typically 128MB. I do not quite remember but I think one route for OSPF uses 200bytes of memory (check it out!).

128000/200 = 900 routes

Remember that EIGRP is, in that effect, extremely well optimized and uses way less RAM mem than OSPF! For the same HW config, you will be able to have many more routes in your router with EIGRP!

Good luck!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card