Replies

update cisco router 2600 to ios 15

cisco.na2015
Level 1
Level 1

hello cisco ,

i want to update my router series 2600 xm from 12 to 15 version

what should i do to get the new version

and where the img source file,please ? :)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Get rid of the 2600 as quick as you can.  The hardware components on that router ain't design to last this long.  Let other people hold on to a burning matchstick.  

In regards to simulators, like GNS, I am not familiar with them nor am I a fan of them.  There are several people who posts issues in this forum about troubles with GNS as it doesn't behave as well as a real router.  

If you need to purchase something for studies, get an ISR G1 (1800 or 2800 router but DO NOT get an 800-series router).  For switch, get a Catalyst 3K with IP Base image.  

These equipment are an investment.  When you get your certification, you can put it back in the market and recoup your investment.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

i want to update my router series 2600 xm from 12 to 15 version

Good luck with that.  I won't happen.  

2600-series router has been end-of-support since 2006.  Software development for this particular model has stopped since 2003.  

how !!

i saw cisco router 1841 with the new ios version

check this link please

https://www.amazon.com/Cisco-CCNA-CCNP-Security-Cisco1841/dp/B01790GKRU/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1466813042&sr=1-7&keywords=ccna+lab

series 2600 have enough memory space to install it

series 2600 have enough memory space to install it

Even if there is DRAM and flash space to copy the IOS in there is no "version 15.X" for 2600 router.  Software development for the 2600 has stopped a few years before IOS version 15.X hit mainstream.

i saw cisco router 1841 with the new ios version

And the 1800-series router is newer to the 2600-series router.  The ISR G1 have better CPU and higher DRAM to load and run IOS version 15.X.  

Thanks to your description :)

now you advice me to sell this 2600 series and study on new generation and what is your opinion on studying on gns or simulator programs ?

Get rid of the 2600 as quick as you can.  The hardware components on that router ain't design to last this long.  Let other people hold on to a burning matchstick.  

In regards to simulators, like GNS, I am not familiar with them nor am I a fan of them.  There are several people who posts issues in this forum about troubles with GNS as it doesn't behave as well as a real router.  

If you need to purchase something for studies, get an ISR G1 (1800 or 2800 router but DO NOT get an 800-series router).  For switch, get a Catalyst 3K with IP Base image.  

These equipment are an investment.  When you get your certification, you can put it back in the market and recoup your investment.

you are right (Y)

there are many different between ios 12,15  if you studying ccnp R&S and ccnp service provider