cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrading Cisco IOS in 2951 router

Omer ali
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, I upgraded my Cisco IOS from 15.0 to 15.4 but I didn't erase the previous  IOS because I have enough space in the flash, now the new IOS saying that I have only 60 days I have to activate it before that time. what to do now? do I really need to get a license key or how can I use the previous key and how can I find it? thanks for your help.

2 Replies 2

fchikomo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi I have read your case and understand that after doing a software upgrade on your 2951 router, you are getting a message that you have 60 days to activate new IOS.

Once a permanent license is installed on a router, it is good for that particular feature set for the life of the router even across IOS versions. For example, once a UC, Security or Data license is installed on a router, the subsequent features for that license will be activated even if the router is upgraded to a new IOS release.The following link provides you with options for Managing Software Activation Licenses:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/cloud-systems-management/software-activation-on-integrated-services-routers-isr/white_paper_c11_556985.html#wp9000794

fchikomo,

I apperciate your help, what I understand in the link is once your 60 days is finish or you reload your device the device will go back to it's original features which was working before, am I right? if so then what is the point  of upgrading? once my device will go back to its almost default then....?

Now if I reload my device or exceed 60 days, do you think it'll work without problems?

thanks again