cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Uplink connections

cairnsc
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone please explain, the advantages of using uplink connections to connect cat 5k switches together, as opposed to using the normal ethernet connections, in the ethernet cards?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

To the best of my knowledge, there is no distinct advantage to using the ports on the SUP as opposed to ports on blades. The obvious reason they would put a pair of GigE ports on the SUP module, for example, is so that one can create redundant HSRP uplinks for the switch to a balanced pair of Distribution layer switches. Doing so also leaves the rest of the chassis free or available for higher port density cards, example 36 or 48 port blades.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

7rbowenii
Level 3
Level 3

C-

What is your definition of uplink? Any connection between switches is an uplink. Is your question more EtherChannel oriented?

-Bo

By uplink connection, I mean the uplink modules on supervisor card rather than just connecting up via the normal ether channels.

The ports on the 5500 sup card are just ports like any other. they can be used as regular connections, as uplinks or as server connects.

-Bo

Can I ask why we have uplink ports on a supervisor card, if they are the same as normal ports. I was under the impression they were possibly used for trunking vlans e.t.c. but I could be mistaken. The reason being is I am currently setting up a test network with 5500, and can't decide whether or not to use the uplink ports, or just connect them through the standard ports, and wondered what the advantages/disadvantages were, of using the uplink ports, on the supervisors.

Sure, you can ask. The answer is they are just ports. you can trunk, channel, disable, or anything you can do to a regular port. Whether or not to use them? Here is my suggestion - Go ahead, they are just ports.

-Bo

To the best of my knowledge, there is no distinct advantage to using the ports on the SUP as opposed to ports on blades. The obvious reason they would put a pair of GigE ports on the SUP module, for example, is so that one can create redundant HSRP uplinks for the switch to a balanced pair of Distribution layer switches. Doing so also leaves the rest of the chassis free or available for higher port density cards, example 36 or 48 port blades.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card