cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan interface down

Mr.Mayhem
Level 1
Level 1

on switch 1 vlan 15 shows down and Switch 2 shows vlan 5 down, not understanding why. Can someone please take a look and let me know, I attached the zip of the packet tracer. passwords are cisco and class.

6 Replies 6

if VLAN don't have any port assign to it then it will be down 
so config any port with access vlan OR allow vlan in any trunk and it will be UP.

Martin L
VIP
VIP

as mentioned You must have at least 1 port assign to access port for SVI interface to stay up.  There is command to skip this check (auto exclude) but it is not supported by simulation PT; works on real devices.

Also, you must have vlan x in database for SVI interface vlan X to stay up.  

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

I have trunk or access assigned to all ports. I am confused because vlan 5 is down on switch and vlan 15 on the other. I have tried different configurations but do not seem to be getting anywhere

can you share 
show vlan ?

I have the packet tracer attached above

Martin L
VIP
VIP

switch 1 is missing vlan 15 in database; add vlan 15.  Same for Switch 2,  vlan 5 is not in database.  To see you vlan database, use show vlan or show interface trunk. If vlan x is missing in database, not only SVI interface stays down but also vlan x is not included in trunking interface (not allowed); That would also stop traffic moving thru a switch X. For example,  if u have sw 1 <> sw 2 <> sw 3.  sw1 and sw 3 have hosts in vlan 200 but not sw 2. Still, sw 2 must have vlan 200 in its database to allow traffic move from sw1 to sw3. 

S1#conf t

Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.

S1(config)#vlan 15

S1(config-vlan)#

%LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Vlan15, changed state to up

%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan15, changed state to up

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card