Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Issue

shakeelahmadch
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

Please if any one can guide me little. We want to create 2 seperate VLAN's on a Cisco Catalyst 2950. Thing confusing me is that , if i placed 2 PC of same subnet in two different VLAN's , will the be able to communicate with each other without adding manual routes (in PC) to the router.

Example:

VLAN-1:

192.168.0.1 Subnet 255.255.255.0

VLAN-2:

192.168.0.2 Subnet 255.255.255.0

if not so what is the proposed solution to get rid of this issue while VLAN is the only option to go with.

thanx in advance.

Shakeel Ahmad,

Lahore, Pakistan.

3 Replies 3

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

I can give you a workaround if you don't have a big network.

You can assign 2 ports one in vlan 1 and another in vlan 2 and can connect a cross over cable from that vlan 1 to vlan 2 port and this will work.

Technology is know as vlan leackage

HTH

Ankur

Thanx Ankur, Is there any other feature of ISO which allows you this, i herd of a thing also like porting the Ethernet link to the PIX/Router as a trunk.

Linking via a cross over cable decease the purpose of VLAN. Actually security requirments are likely to caryy each product servers on a different VLAN. Subnetting is a solution but due to limited IP's that thing is pending.

Now if i clarify:

1. What is trunk actually ? and how will be caryy trunks to the router.

2. What are pro's and cons , if we add manual routes on all PC's which caryy same subnet traffic to PIX/Router.

3. Or any other idea in any one's mind. ?

Trunk is nothing but a link connection which can carry information of more than one vlan and the way it identifies the different vlan traffic is via tagging.

yes you can have trunk from switch to router and on router you can configure router on stick (subinterfaces and encapsulation if it supports one) but you will not be able to have 2 same subnet on different subinterface on router as it will give you overlapping network address error message.

HTH

Ankur

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card