cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLANs for beginners using Network Assistant

rameeti00
Level 1
Level 1

I need to create some VLANs but at this point it is clear that they have way more potential than I understand. My equipment is a 1841 router, with a 2970 & 2950 switches.

I wanted to create a VLAN for ports 2 & 3 on the 2950. I Rt-Click on port 2 and selected VLAN. The default Administrative mode was Dynamic Desireable & Static-Access VLAN of 1. I couldn't change the Static-Access VLAN until I changed the Administrative mode to Static Access so I did that and then changed the Static-Access VLAN to 2. I then duplicated these steps for port 3. Thinking I was done, I went to lunch. Unfortunately a side benefit of whatever I had done also created the undesired effect of causing the users at ports 2 & 3 to be unable to access the Internet. This was not intended nor desired.

I've read <http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat2970/12225sea/2970scg/swvlan.htm> but there are too many unknown words at this time in the article.

Could someone give me some step by step instructions for creating a VLAN for port 2 & 3 while continuing to allow them Internet access?

The switches are in a cluster with the Command being the 2970. I was told that the 831 router was needed so that I could do inter-VLANs but since I had not changed any setting there, perhaps that was my problem.

TIA

1 Reply 1

rameeti00
Level 1
Level 1

Isn't there anyone who can help me with this? Please.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card