cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

what diff between Gigastack GBIC and a 1000BASE-SX

ja1064
Level 1
Level 1

i have 3548 switches that are stacked using the device that is labeled '1000 BASE-SX'.

Is this called a GBIC?

i also have in my possession, two 'Gigastack GBICs' with part number WS-X3500-XL.

What is the difference other than the obvious difference in cable type? Why use one rather than the other?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Why you use one GBIC type versus another? It basically comes down to the distance you need to cover between a pair of GBICs, and the cost.

GigaStack (GS) GBICs

Maximum Distance between two: 1 (one) meter.

List Price (US$): $250.00 each, or $500.00 per pair.

Cable: Cisco proprietary.

1000BASE-T (TX) GBICs

Maximum Distance between two: 100 (one hundred) meters.

List Price (US$): $395.00 each, or $790.00 per pair.

Cable: Standard Category 5 or better UTP, with RJ-45 connectors.

1000BASE-SX (SX) GBICs

Maximum Distance between two: 220-275 meters, depending on multimode fiber (MMF) type.

List Price (US$): $500.00 each, or $1,000.00 per pair.

Cable: Standard 62.5/125 or 50/125 MMF, two-strand, with SC connectors.

1000BASE-LX/LH (LX) GBICs

Maximum Distance between two: 550 meters over MMF, or 10km over standard single mode fiber (SMF).

List Price (US$): $995.00 each, or $1,990.00 per pair.

Cable: MMF (see above) or standard SMF, two-strand, with SC connectors.

1000BASE-ZX (ZX) GBICs

Maximum Distance between two: 70km over standard SMF, or 100km over dispersion-shifted/low-attenuation SMF.

List Price (US$): $5,995.00 each, or $11,990.00 per pair.

Cable: Standard SMF, or dispersion-shifted/low-attenuation SMF.

Other considerations for using fiber vs. other cable types: fiber is immune to electromagnetic interference (EMI). Copper (Cat5 UTP or Cisco proprietary GS GBIC cable) is susceptible to EMI. Use fiber if the connection will run near heavy electrical machinery or "noise" sources, such as transformers, UPSs, fluorescent lights, elevator motors, generators, etc.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

yguay
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

A GBIC mean Giga Bit Interface Converter.

It'a an interface, a small box you will use to convert one kind of signal to another.

In your Cat 3500 switch, you have a slot dédicated to accept GBIC, you can insert many kind of GBIC.

For exemple, I use a Cisco 1000Base-SX GBIC (WS-G5484)for multimode fiber, or Cisco 1000BASE-T GBIC(WS-G5483) for a twisted pairs category 5 cable.

The GigaStac GBIC is dedicated for trunkin switchs together.

This link have more explanation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_data_sheet09186a00800a1789.html

bye

Yves

Why you use one GBIC type versus another? It basically comes down to the distance you need to cover between a pair of GBICs, and the cost.

GigaStack (GS) GBICs

Maximum Distance between two: 1 (one) meter.

List Price (US$): $250.00 each, or $500.00 per pair.

Cable: Cisco proprietary.

1000BASE-T (TX) GBICs

Maximum Distance between two: 100 (one hundred) meters.

List Price (US$): $395.00 each, or $790.00 per pair.

Cable: Standard Category 5 or better UTP, with RJ-45 connectors.

1000BASE-SX (SX) GBICs

Maximum Distance between two: 220-275 meters, depending on multimode fiber (MMF) type.

List Price (US$): $500.00 each, or $1,000.00 per pair.

Cable: Standard 62.5/125 or 50/125 MMF, two-strand, with SC connectors.

1000BASE-LX/LH (LX) GBICs

Maximum Distance between two: 550 meters over MMF, or 10km over standard single mode fiber (SMF).

List Price (US$): $995.00 each, or $1,990.00 per pair.

Cable: MMF (see above) or standard SMF, two-strand, with SC connectors.

1000BASE-ZX (ZX) GBICs

Maximum Distance between two: 70km over standard SMF, or 100km over dispersion-shifted/low-attenuation SMF.

List Price (US$): $5,995.00 each, or $11,990.00 per pair.

Cable: Standard SMF, or dispersion-shifted/low-attenuation SMF.

Other considerations for using fiber vs. other cable types: fiber is immune to electromagnetic interference (EMI). Copper (Cat5 UTP or Cisco proprietary GS GBIC cable) is susceptible to EMI. Use fiber if the connection will run near heavy electrical machinery or "noise" sources, such as transformers, UPSs, fluorescent lights, elevator motors, generators, etc.

Hope this helps.

very helpful. tnx

maybe you can comment on a related question. I am trying to connect a Dell switch (LC connector) to a 3548 with a 1000base SX gbic. There is no activity at all. I can see from a Dell forum that others have had this. I'm suspecting the cable (or the Dell gbic.

I also have a Gigastack available. I believe the Gigastack cables are Cisco proprietary. Do you know if Cisco sells an LC to 'gigastack' cable?

For a Dell switch with LC connector on SX fiber port, connecting to a Cisco SX GBIC with SC connectors, several manufacturers make customized multimode patch cables configured with these ends.

LC to GigaStack, not feasible (LC is optical fiber, GS is proprietary copper cable).

The issue you have here is one of autonetogiation I believe. On the Cisco Gig interface, I think you need to run nonegotiate or something. Search the LAN switching and routing forum here for Dell, it's a topic that has been discussed before. It's not half vs. full duplex negotiation (Cisco runs full duplex only), it's more along the lines of negotiating flow control etc. I have seen the same thing with Cisco to 3Com switches.

Also, before you configure the Cisco port, just try swapping the two SC connectors at the Cisco GBIC, so the one that was in TX goes into RX, and the one that was in RX goes into TX. If still no link, then do the port configuration changes, and check for link. (If no link, swap the SC ends back to their original ports. This should get you a link.)

Again, just search the forums here a bit, I know it's been covered in the last month or so at least a couple of times.

Hope this helps.