Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4507R+E to Cisco 3850 Migration

ed.warren
Level 1
Level 1

Good Morning,

I am at my wits end attempting to find out an issue I have with migrating a 4507R+e to a 3850 switch.

The 4507R+e is connected to the distribution switch (4510) which is connected to the firewall. I am running VLANs and the 4510 has a DFGW .254 for the VLAN on the 4507R+e. The 4507R+e has 30 computers connected to a patch panel Cat5e (T658B) and Cat5e (T658B) to the switch.

When I switch the Cat5e cable from the 4510 to the 3850 connectivity is good to the 4510 and can get out of the network. I connect a laptop directly to the 3850 I can get out the network and to the internet however when I connect one of the desktops that are connected via the patch panel - NO CONNECTIVITY.

I set auto to the MDIX and speed. I mimicked every setting on the 4507R+e and still nothing. Now here is the interesting part for me. If I drape a new cat5 cable across the room from the 3850 directly to the computer bypassing the patch panel I have connectivity.

Anyone have a clue what my issue could be? I am most appreciative of any assistance.

Ed

"A tech with a massive headache"

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- There will probably be an  on the edge cabling issue which the 3850 can not handle you need to check out cabling with a fluke , apparently the 3850 does not support TDR :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/networking-documents/how-to-use-time-domain-reflectometer-tdr/ta-p/3119327

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Good Morning M.,

My team and I was able to run the TDR test. Apparently the 3850 we have has the feature.

It does appear that the cables are crossed between the patch panel and a liskey box near the workstations. (See pic)

Hello @ed.warren ,

>> It does appear that the cables are crossed between the patch panel and a liskey box near the workstations.

IF this is the case I would try to disable MDIX on the ports to see if without it the new switch port is able to build a working connection.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello Giuseppe, You were definitely correct. As soon as MDIX was removed it connected up with no issues. Much, much appreciation. Thanks, Ed

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card