cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

configure device with ip in separate network

jude.mccormick
Level 1
Level 1

I have two sites connected by a WAN link with separate networks. Every once in a while I need to configure a device with a hard-coded IP for the secondary location at the primary location. The problem is of course that I cannot configure the device at the primary location with a secondary location IP because it won't route. Is there a way to do this safely without hurting the proper routing tables?

3 Replies 3

aretana
Level 1
Level 1

Jude:

First of all...why??

I'm not sure what you mean by "without hurting the proper routing tables"...but here's an answer.

You might want to look at some type of mobility solution for this case. Local Area Mobility (LAM) may do the trick (low set up cost, but it injects the host route in your routing protocol), or you might want to look at Mobile IP (if the need becomes more common and widespread).

Without inderstanding what you're trying to do, and why, it's hard to provide a solution.

Good luck!

Alvaro.

alvaro@cisco.com

The way that I read the question I believe that Local Area Mobility is exactly the solution he is looking for.

The key command for Local Area Mobility is ip mobile arp. You configure this on the interface where the workstation will be connected as a visitor. When this is configured the router will create a /32 entry in the routing table for the visiting workstation and advertise it to the rest of the network. To support this feature you need a routing protocol that supports VLSM - EIGRP and OSPF are good for this. You also need to be careful not to filter the routing update (distribute list, etc) that might prevent advertising the route.

HTH

Rick

I shall give this a try. Thank you for the information.