Views
Helpful
Replies

Designing efficient IP Networks

Kevin Melton
Level 2
Level 2

Forum

I have been tasked by a client to redesign their IP network.  Their current network is comprised of:

Many Frame Relay WAN Circuits that have many spokes and two hubs.  The two hubs are their Headquarters and Disaster Recovery sites.

3 MPLS WAN connections.

Their are several LANs located at the Headquarters and at the Disaster Recovery Site.

There are several Routing protocols currently in use including BGP towards the Internet and MPLS circuits, EIGRP on inside networks, some RIP, and some static.

The current IP addressing is what I would call "Hodge Podge".  For example, at the headquarters, there are several LAN's that are in the 192.168.X.0/24 IANA range.  Then at the Disaster Recovery Site there are some 172.16.X.X/24 networks.

I wanted to get a larger perspective from some of you whom have designed networks in the best... I am interested in Best Practices, and would also like to know if there is any recommeded documentation available that would assist in my readdressing scheme.

Thanks for any advice available

Kevin

1 Reply 1

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Forum

I have been tasked by a client to redesign their IP network.  Their current network is comprised of:

Many Frame Relay WAN Circuits that have many spokes and two hubs.  The two hubs are their Headquarters and Disaster Recovery sites.

3 MPLS WAN connections.

Their are several LANs located at the Headquarters and at the Disaster Recovery Site.

There are several Routing protocols currently in use including BGP towards the Internet and MPLS circuits, EIGRP on inside networks, some RIP, and some static.

The current IP addressing is what I would call "Hodge Podge".  For example, at the headquarters, there are several LAN's that are in the 192.168.X.0/24 IANA range.  Then at the Disaster Recovery Site there are some 172.16.X.X/24 networks.

I wanted to get a larger perspective from some of you whom have designed networks in the best... I am interested in Best Practices, and would also like to know if there is any recommeded documentation available that would assist in my readdressing scheme.

Thanks for any advice available

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Genral practices for redesigning is you will be given a bolck for DC and DR and all depends how is the DC setup is like how many zones are there and from where the traffic will be routed all those stuff,depending on zone seggregation peoples used to sunet the given ip address based on the availabilty of host in each zones.

Like /22 or /23 subnets in each zones depends on servers residing.routing protocols genrally prefers are OSPF or EIGRP in internal lan for fast convergence and load balancing also.

Check out the below link hope that helps !!

http://www.ciscosystems.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/netsol/ns107/c649/ccmigration_09186a008073377d.pdf

Remember to rate the helpful post

Ganesh.H