cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

hsrp, trunking & hello messages

pklegeris
Level 1
Level 1

I have a problem with hsrp routers not receiving "hello" messages for trunked links. The setup is as follows: I have two 6509's, each with MSFC, servicing a number of access layer switches. Each access layer switch has redundant connections to both 6509's with the 6509's set up in HSRP to support the access layer switches. The majority of the access layer switches are only configured with one VLAN and I don't have any problems with these. Those access layer switches that support more than one VLAN are problematic. I have trunked links from both 6509's to these access layer switches and the VLAN's in those trunks are in HSRP between the two 6509's. The "standby priority" for trunked VLANs has been configured such that those VLANs will only be active on one 6509 at a time. Problem is that HSRP "hello" messages are only received on one 6509 even though both 6509 are sending "hellos". This is causing continually "coups" and I am unable to instigate HRSP for these trunked links. The link between the two 6509's is a totally separate VLAN so I don't believe it's a spanning tree issue. The CAT OS is 7.1(2) and the IOS is 12.1(2)e.

2 Replies 2

rjackson
Level 5
Level 5

They have to see each other through each vlan that they are doing HSRP for. Sounds like you need a trunk between them or you have a problem in the redundant trunks to the closets. Can the routers ping each other on the problem vlans?

Currently I have the problems VLANs shutdown on one side of the HSRP 6509s. As soon as I bring them up we lose connectivity to the closet switch even though the VLAN interfaces that I bring up are set at a lower standby priority than the active side. If I attempt to ping the router interfaces for the problem VLANS I know as soon as I bring them up I'll lose connectivity to the closet switch. Even more intriguing is that we have three closet switches set up with this configuration. 1 works fine, that is "hello" messages for the trunked VLANS are passed between the HSRP routers, the other 2 though aren't passing the "hello" messages correctly. Both routers send the "hello" messages but only one side receives them. I'm trying to avoid trunking between the 6509's and as it works for one closet switch it should work for the other two. Any more suggestions?