cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISDN as backup to frame

mohamed-khadr
Level 1
Level 1

I need to config ISDN to comeup ONLY from 6AM to 10PM if frame circuit goes down & and to stay deactivated all night even if the frame circuit goes down.We are running EIGRP and I had ISDN config as backup to frame. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

3 Replies 3

eddie.lindsay
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

You could use a timed acl to control interesting traffic, in conjunction with dialer-watch to activate the isdn on loss of specific routes over the frame.

Eddie

Eddie,

Thanks for your respond.

Can you please provide me sample config.

Regards,

mohamed

I'd like to see it too, because dialer-watch dials whether or not there is interesting traffic.

A working solution would be to use a timer ACL to define traffic as interesting only during the desired hours, and use Dial on Demand Routing (DDR) to do the dialing (the way we used to do it before dialer watch).

The other trick is to run NTP on the router and include NTP as interesting if the clock resets to day one (assuming a router without a real time clock, which includes all the low end routers). Pretty much set it so any time the date is before 2004, the router will consider NTP as interesting traffic, regardless of what time of day it thinks it is. That way, when you lose power and the frame is down, the router will dial long enough to set the clock correctly so it actually does come up only when needed.

Good luck and have fun.

Vincent C Jones

www.networkingunlimited.com

P.S. Don't bother asking for a sample config unless you have a purchase order to pay for it :-) There are plenty of examples on the Internet, here on CCO and posted to UseNet (comp.dcom.sys.cisco). The exact syntax will depend upon your router, IOS version, and IP address assignments.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card