Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR 4331/K9 - Cabling Options

jbarber
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We had an activation fail yesterday due to what I am told is interface limitations on the ISR 4331/K9 but I believe I am correct with my initial assumptions and equipment but would like to confirm.

Cisco 4331/K9 
2 - SFP1G-LX-31 LC SFPs

The cabling requirements for the ISR were as follows:

One Copper RJ45 connection to the service provider

One of the SFP1G-LX-31 LC going to a Fiber Patch Panel which was servicing one room of the building

One of the SFP1G-LX-31 LC going to a second port on the Fiber Patch Panel which serviced a second room in the building.

I know one of the ports is either a RJ45 OR SFP interface but there were two others that could be SFPs.

I dont remember the exact interface port numbers but the top two ports could be either RJ45 or SFP (which I had planned to install one SFP in servicing room 1). The lower left interface port is RJ45 (which I had planned on connecting the service providers RJ45 to). The lower right is a SFP port (which I had planned to install one SFP in servicing room 2)

What I was told is that you can only have one SFP and one Copper connection on the 4331 so the second room could not be activated. 

Is this correct? 

3 Replies 3

Djurre Woudstra
Level 1
Level 1

4331  has three fixed ports

G0/0/0 is Copper and SFP switchable 

G0/0/1 is Copper only

G0/0/2 is SFP only

GigabitEthernet0/0/0 is up, line protocol is up
Hardware is ISR4331-3x1GE, address is 00xx.xxxx.xxxx

GigabitEthernet0/0/1 is up, line protocol is up

GigabitEthernet0/0/2 is up, line protocol is up

So i would say your assumption is correct and it should work.
Dodgy SFP?

Thanks for the reply!!

Unfortunately I wasn't onsite yesterday so I think it was more of them looking at it and saying that it wouldn't work rather than trying it lol

The pain...