cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Listing of IP addresses over serial

fchew
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any means to list out the list of ip addresses that transverse across WAN serial ? Thanks/Francis

5 Replies 5

uniemeyer
Level 1
Level 1

Francis,

I am not quit sure what do you mean by list the IP addresses which traverse

a serial link. I believe you mean to set up an IP accounting.

This can be done by configure "ip accounting" in the interface configuration

mode. Because only outgoing packets are listed after in the "show ip accounting" command, the ip accounting must be configured on both sides

of the serial link.

regards Ulrich Marzoli

www.netaid.de

Tks for yr revert. I have explored 'ip accounting' but does not meet my needs. What I require is that what are the permitted ip addresses used over the serial lines. The reason I want to know this is to prioritise the 'frequent' ip addresses on top of the extended ACL. Any tips ? Thanks/Francis

Hi,

I believe, what you need is a protocol analyser to identify which IP addresses

uses which upper layer protocol and then decide, which are the mission

critical applications or you just ask the system administrators, which application they use over the serial link from which IP addresses.

That you didn't get out of the router.

regards Ulrich Marzoli

www.netaid.de

Hello Francis, to sniff what packets are going over the serial lines, you might want to use an agilent advisor hardware sniffer which can be plugged in between the router and serial link.

Since all applications are running from your lan, you can just put a sniffer on the lan (software sniffer) and find out which applications are more frequently used. You can download a demo version of Agilent software sniffer at www.agilent.com

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Thanks, everyone since this is the only approach available.

Rgds/Francis

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card