cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RME Device Conflict or Alias

j.fanizzi
Level 1
Level 1

What constitutes an alias or conflict in RME. For example, if I have a router in RME that I remove and reassign elsewhere in the network with a different hostname and different IP address. However, the serial number is the same. When CM sees the new IP address it will import it in RME and I will have that node twice in RME...as the old and new IP address.

What are the criteria for RME to discover a conflict or alias?

Thanks!

Jimmy

3 Replies 3

grayd
Level 1
Level 1

RME detects aliases as devices with different names but the same IP address. For instance, you could have two DNS entries pointing to the same device. That would be an alias.

A conflict is when the same device (or IP address) is imported with different values for the SNMP strings, telnet passwords, enable passwords, etc.

Is there any way to configure RME to use the serial number or the "user fields" as criteria for aliases? For example, if I change a router's IP address and hostname but the S/N remains the same, can RME detect that as an alias also?

Jimmy

john.sobrinho
Level 1
Level 1

HI ...

We just encountered this problem yesterday when we recyled some IPs, and changed hostnames.

follow the porcedure outlined in the link. The procedure worked for us.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps2073/products_tech_note09186a008019ce49.shtml