cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASK THE EXPERT - CISCO SECURITY MANAGEMENT JUMPSTART

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to get more information on CSM, MARS, ASDM, IME, CCP, and IronPort SMA with Cisco experts Raghu Kasavaraju and Ziad Sarieddine. Raghu, Product Manager for Cisco Security Manager, has 15 years of extensive experience in IT and he has spent the last 10 years in Information Security Operations, Consulting & Engineering roles. Currently, Raghu is the PM Lead for Cisco Security Manager 4.0 release. Ziad (CCIE Security # 23379) is a security management technologist with expertise in security solutions covering Firewall, IPS, and VPN. Prior to joining Cisco in 2006, Ziad spent 10+ years as a Lead Analyst / Senior Network Engineer designing and installing large networks at different companies.

Remember to use the rating system to let Ziad know if you have received an adequate response.

Ziad might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through November 6, 2009. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

61 Replies 61

Thaar,

This is not supported on the ASA today. QoS can be applied based on Source / destination traffic match but not user. Will take your request as feedback to product management team

Regards,

Ziad

Can you please provide more information on your request.

Regards,

Ziad

Dear zsariedd

Regarding Proxy, i know that ASA can work as Voice Proxy and in previous comment by rkasavar state that ASA can work as Proxy server, i want a link to this.

Regarding web content security, we know that ASA 5520 can has CSC module, what are the differences between this in ASA and IronPort web Content Security appliance (dont take number of user in your consideration).

regarding QoS i know that it is possible to manage the users bandwidth using Qos in ASA using ip address. is this OK?

Regarding websense, Cybroum and blue Coat, i need to know if ASA can do their function even with limited capabilites.

As i said before i want to manage my local users (2000 users), their bandwidth (ex. i want to give some of them a 10KB BW) and their download (ex. limit the download for each user to 100 MB)also i want to monitor my users internet using (ex. i want to know their chating details).

In summary i want the functions of Websense , Cybroam and Blue Coat to be implemented from ASA 5520 , please give me a link to any document the describe these in ASA or any other CISCO products. Please give me links.

best regards

thaar al_taiey

@thaar.altaiey

Thank you for your interest in Cisco Security - you have many great questions. Please refer to the NetPro Firewall conversations for questions on ASA

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf;jsessionid=74EADD4072F7E8AED6DE317B22CAEABD.SJ4B?page=netprof&forum=Security&topic=Firewalling&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_messages%26mode%3Dnew%26location%3D.ee6e1fa

or feel free to contact your local Support or reseller contact. If you have any additional questions for Cisco Security Management, I am available to answer to them.

Regards,

Ziad

Dear Ziad

If I found the answers to my Q's in NetPro ASA or from others iam not asking The Expert. I post a message in NetPro before about one week and nobody reply.

So please if you could answer my Q's with liks in Cisco.com

best regards

thaar al_taiey

@dzingirai

Can you please provide more information on your request.

Regards,

Ziad

pengfang
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Raghu and Ziad,

I couldn't find any details how to use RADIUS Vendor-Specific Attributes (VSA)26 , cisco av-pair but only some samples like:

cisco-avpair= "shell:priv-lvl=15"

Is there a FULL list of these attributes with correct syntax explained for IOS 12.4 and ASA 8.x anywhere? Much appreciated your response.

Peng

Peng,

Here is a link for Radius attributes that you may find useful. For any specific attribute that are not listed I would suggest working with TAC.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_secure_access_control_server_for_windows/4.2/user/guide/A_RADAtr.html

Regards,

Ziad

arlis
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings!

I interested in receiving feedback on the following information sourced from Gartner and where there is any truth to the direction Cisco is taking on MARS:

FINDINGS

Cisco has begun to quietly inform its customers of a decision to freeze support for most non-

Cisco event sources within its Security Monitoring, Analysis, and Response System (MARS).

New versions of non-Cisco vulnerability assessment and firewall technologies will not be

supported by MARS, but maintenance (e.g., updates for new signatures) for currently supported

versions will continue. Cisco also plans to release MARS support for Windows Server 2007 and

Windows Server 2008. Although Cisco has not formally announced its intention to exit the SIEM

market, the Cisco sales force is encouraging its MARS customers to find an alternative for log

collection and event analysis of non-Cisco event sources.

ANALYSIS

Cisco had widely sold MARS as a SIEM solution that was primarily oriented to network security,

and had built the largest SIEM customer base. The technology provides network security

monitoring and host activity monitoring, but Cisco had not provided integration for third-party

network devices. MARS has supported the major operating system platforms, and it has provided

limited third-party security device and application support. Many customers have been using

MARS for a combination of network and host activity monitoring to satisfy both network security

and compliance use cases.

Cisco's recent decision to freeze support for most non-Cisco event sources means that MARS

will become ineffective as a general SIEM solution as new versions of non-Cisco event sources

are implemented. Gartner believes Cisco will focus its efforts on improving Cisco's native security

management capabilities, long a weak spot across Cisco's product line. MARS customers that

require a fully functional SIEM solution will need to transition to an alternative product, while those

that were only integrating MARS to Cisco devices should actually see improved focus by Cisco

on security management across the Cisco security product line.

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

• Organizations Evaluating SIEM Solutions: Organizations that require host activity

monitoring (i.e., monitoring of system, database, and application logs) or monitoring of

non-Cisco network or security devices should not consider Cisco MARS.

• Current MARS Customers That Require General SIEM Capabilities: Organizations

that are currently using MARS to monitor host activity and non-Cisco security devices

and applications should begin planning for a transition to a fully functional SIEM solution.

• Current MARS Customers That Are Focused on Cisco Event Sources:

Organizations that are currently using MARS primarily for Cisco event sources can

continue to apply MARS to this use case.

RECOMMENDED READING

"Magic Quadrant for Security Information and Event Management"

"Critical Capabilities for Security Information and Event Management Technology"

The BU's official response is below.

Regards,

Anil

October 30, 2009

Cisco response to Gartner Research Memo entitled “Cisco MARS Is Becoming Less Viable as a General SIEM Solution”

Summary

• Gartner has alerted its customers that as Cisco continues to focus its security management efforts on Cisco devices, MARS appliances may become less viable for the broad set of “general” SIEM use cases.

• Gartner concludes that Cisco's focus on native management capabilities for our devices is a positive direction.

• For customers with primarily Cisco event sources on their network, Gartner recommends that MARS still provides a strong platform for security threat management (STM) and network behavior analysis (NBA) capabilities.

Details

On October 29th, 2009, Gartner released a research note titled “Cisco MARS Is Becoming Less Viable as a General SIEM Solution.” This note is in response to Cisco's stated direction to focus CS-MARS development on supporting Cisco-built network security devices and critical host operating systems. Non-Cisco network device data and signature updates continue to be supported in CS-MARS for the current versions of these 3rd-party systems.

In the memo, Gartner concludes that “Cisco will focus its efforts on improving Cisco's native security management capabilities,” which they note as a positive direction for Cisco's overall Security portfolio.

In the past, we have encouraged Gartner to break up this crowded space as it encompasses a vast array of use cases spanning compliance reporting, log aggregation, threat identification, and mitigation. While MARS has been placed in the SIEM market, it has never fully covered all aspects of the Gartner-defined space. Over the last year, as we have focused on the core Security Threat Management use cases for Cisco products, Cisco has de-emphasized compliance reporting and non-Cisco devices.

In particular for Cisco customers, it is important to note Gartner's recommendation that MARS continues to provide strong STM and NBA capabilities for Cisco event sources.

stevej4373
Level 1
Level 1

I have a very simple issue. My vpn client 4.1 software conects to my ADSL router and I can see/access the drives at the remote location. However it won't conect to the exchange server, can you help?

Hello Raghu/Ziad,

I would like to know that unlike Cisco why is it so difficult to find User/Configuration/Administration guides for Cisco IronPort devices. I spent hours searching IronPort configuration guides on the Net but didn't find one. Does IronPort have any proprietary laws which restrict them from publishing such information.

Thanks.

@tech_trac

We're in the process of adding IronPort documentation to Cisco.com in the mean time, customers and partners can access the files at the IronPort customer support portal.

http://www.ironport.com/support/

If you are unable to find the info you need please contact your Cisco local Support or reseller contact.

Regards,

Ziad

Hi,

I'm not an expert on Exchange but I believe you need to use a WINS server or LMHOSTS file to specify IP address for the Exchange server's NetBios name. Since your remote PC is not on local LAN, it will need ways to resolve name to IP address.

Hope that helps,

wyan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, Raghu and Ziad,

According to the CSM User Guide, we should be able to configure boot image for FWSM. However, this option is not there in V3.2.2. Is it a bug?

Thanks.

Weidong Yan