cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Backing up a serial interface using an ethernet interface.

jpena
Level 1
Level 1

I'm currently trying to setup a VPN box as a backup to a Serial interface on my Cisco 2600 router. I know that you can set an interface to be a backup to another. I want to setup our VPN box as a backup connection if the Point to Point fails. How would I setup an Ethernet interface(E/0) to be a backup to a serial interface(S/0) so that I can route traffic to the VPN if the serial interface is down? I'm not sure how this would work if the traffic is coming through that Ethernet interface. I was thinking of adding a administrative distance or cost to a static route statement to the router. Any help, or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

3 Replies 3

saumen.sarkar
Level 1
Level 1

Your question is not clear. Would you kindly ellaborate it so that I can look into it?

Thanks

Here's what I'm trying to do.

I have a plant that has an Internet connection through an ISP, and a PPP connection to corporate through a serial link on a 2600 router. All the resources that site uses are accesed through the poin to point link. I'm trying to setup a VPN box as a backup going through the Internet in the event the serial link went down.

The problem is that I'm not sure how to tell the router to redirect the traffic from a serial interface to an ethernet interface where the VPN box sits if it detects the link is down.

I hope this is a little clearer. Thanks for taking the time to help out.

vdeshpande
Level 1
Level 1

I belive, you are using seprate router for point to point connectivity and VPN.If it is so, you add a route in first router with administartive distance to forward all packets to ethernet port of VPN router if serial link is down.

Regards

Virendra