cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best Solution for WAN Tunnel

gprokschg
Level 1
Level 1

We have got two sites, each site has one 3600 with one Ethernet interface each and serial ports for WAN connectivity. There are two sub interfaces on each Ethernet interface. We need to tunnel the traffic from each sub int on the Ethernet interfaces across a WAN with multiple hops. I have tried using Tunnel interfaces but fail to get this to work over multiple hops and for each "VLAN" ie for the sub ints. Any suggestions/sample configs?

2 Replies 2

vcjones
Level 5
Level 5

The IP addresses used for the endpoints of the tunnel must be know to all routers on the WAN. This often means that you have to use your WAN serial interface IPs for the job. You also have to make sure that you use addresses and filtering of routing advertisements so that the remote router never sees the tunnel as the best route to the other end of the tunnel.

Other than that, going across multiple hops with a GRE or IPSec tunnel is standard operating procedure. You may need to post a picture and sample configs to get a better answer.

Good luck and have fun!

Vincent C Jones

www.networkingunlimited.com

Thanks for that. Since we are doing this over a private WAN, the Ethernet interface addresses are also known to all devices on the WAN, hence I should be able to use as terminating points!? Also I will use two tunnels - one for each sub int on Ethernet interaces.