Views
Helpful
Replies

Can 2 Nos PIX-515E-UR-BUNs be configured to Operate in FO Mode

ravinda
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My customer has 2 Nos PIX-515E-UR-BUNs of identical configuration. Could these be configured to operate in Failover mode. Would that require any additional HW or SW Lics. Appreciate if you could point me to a doc/whitepaper or let me have your comments.

Thanks.

Ravinda [ravindam@sg.ibm.com]

3 Replies 3

scoclayton
Level 7
Level 7

Ravinda,

Yes, this will work fine. A UR license on a PIX allows them to be used in a FO configuration. There is no need for a FO only license. The FO only license was established to give customers a price break when deploying a pair of PIX's in an FO only configuration. In your case, your customer can either use these in an FO configuration or use them each as stand-alone units.

Hope this helps.

Scott

Hi Scott,

How about vise versa? One customer with 515E-UR and 515E-FO in fail-over configuration. Can I break up the fail-over link and redeploy into two different sites?

No, in this case, you have a UR PIX and a FO PIX. The FO PIX is licensed to only work in conjunction with a UR PIX as the stand-by unit. If you boot the FO PIX without the failover unit connected (i.e. in stand-alone mode), it will reload itself every 24 hours. And it would be illegal as well.

Does this answer your question.

Scott