Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure SSH to access router 3925 from outside network

I want to  access my cisco 3925 router from outside network using public IP address. what configuration i have to do.

Note: i can access SSH from inside network

2 Replies 2

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The ip address just needs to be reachable that your trying to access , if its working from the inside ssh is already working , you may need to open port on firewall though if its in front of your 3900 make sure you lock the vty port down with an acl so not everyone can access it and then also only enable

line vty 0 4

access-class 10 in

access-list 10 permit x.x.x.x 0.0.0.255

Configuring Login Parameters

Use this task to configure your Cisco IOS device for login parameters that help detect suspected DoS attacks and slow down dictionary attacks.

All login parameters are disabled by default. You must issue the login block-for command, which enables default login functionality, before using any other login commands. After the login block-for command is enabled, the following defaults are enforced:

A default login delay of one second

All login attempts made through Telnet or SSH are denied during the quiet period; that is, no ACLs are exempt from the login period until the login quiet-mode access-class command is issued.

SUMMARY STEPS

1. enable

2. configure terminal

3. login block-for seconds attempts tries within seconds

4. login quiet-mode access-class {acl-name | acl-number}

5. login delay seconds

6. exit

Nice write up Mark!

I haven't used the "login block-for seconds" before but will will definitely be testing it out now!

For a public facing SSH I would also suggest using public/private keys for SSH logins. There is a lot documentation on how to set that up.

If your Google Fu fails here is blog on how to do it.

Authenticating using SSH and your RSA Public Key

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: