cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

configuring standby ISP- simplest easiest way

victorrodrigues
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 links from the ISP, until now i was running 2 proxies servers. Now that i have introduced my ASA5520, i will move all my users to just the 1 proxy server behind the ASA. I was wondering how simplest to keep the other internet link as a standby just incase my primary goes down. THis is coz i just want my operators to switch over in case i'm not in the country.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Patrick Iseli
Level 7
Level 7

You could configure the global and corresponding NAT for the second ISP and the day that your primary ISP goes down you have just to change the default route to the second ISP and remove primary one.

You could also configure a default route with a higher metric but the link has to go physicly down to switch to the other ISP. Unplug the cable of the primary ISP.

Third possibility is to buy a link controller and take advantage of Loadbalancing all traffic in both links and Geogpraphical balancing the most advanced solution for not to expensive cost.

Example: http://www.elfiq.com/

sincerely

Patrick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Patrick Iseli
Level 7
Level 7

You could configure the global and corresponding NAT for the second ISP and the day that your primary ISP goes down you have just to change the default route to the second ISP and remove primary one.

You could also configure a default route with a higher metric but the link has to go physicly down to switch to the other ISP. Unplug the cable of the primary ISP.

Third possibility is to buy a link controller and take advantage of Loadbalancing all traffic in both links and Geogpraphical balancing the most advanced solution for not to expensive cost.

Example: http://www.elfiq.com/

sincerely

Patrick

hi Patrick

sorry i mis-rated , was goin for 5 and i think i goofed up with my mouse scroll

anyways.. thanks, i had the same idea. was wondering though..

you said prepare the global nat and then add the default route with a higher metric, my query is in this scernario, what about fail back ? when the link is up ? will it switch back automatically , i would think so ,just want a confirmation.

hi i would suggest is to have a switch connected to the outside of the pix and have 2 routers attched to the switch . configure hsrp on the routers and configure the pxi with a default route pointing to the ip address of the virtual ip configured in the hsrp group. hope this helps.

sebastan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: