cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CTR and VMS on the same device

darin.marais
Level 4
Level 4

Can Cisco Threat Response server and VMS server be installed on the same machine?

4 Replies 4

pcomeaux
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The CTR Release notes indicates CTR should be installed on a dedicated server. I have tried in the past to install CTR and VMS on the same device. However, I remember the applications both need Apache installed and cannot co-exist.

CTR needs a dedicated CPU and Harddrive as the tasks it performs can be quite intensive, depending on the number of events your Sensors send to it.

Hope this info from my experience helps. Maybe others will share their experiences as well.

peter

Just as an added note I keep hearing that CTR is going to be roled up into VMS some time soon. ANyone care to comment on how that will effect the issue of loading CTR and VMS on the same machine?

The long term strategy (last I heard) is for CTR functionality to move most of the functionality into VMS and some of the functionality into the sensors themselves. I am not clear on the timeframe, but last I can recall, I think I remember this happenning near the summer time frame.

Hope this helps. Maybe if one of the developers sees this thread, they can add some additional data.

peter

Thanks for the info Peter