Views
Helpful
Replies

FWSM image/asdm location

pemasirid
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can some one please advise how we can see the copied image/asdm on FWSM..?. as per the below document we copied application software (image or asdm) to current partiton with the command

copy tftp://server[/path]/filename flash:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/fwsm/fwsm31/configuration/guide/swcnfg_f.html#wp1047472

I just want to know where is this current partition, is it which partition out of six on the flash, (cf:x.?), when we give the command to see the current boot partition we cant see any partition number here.

wr01-cc4#show boot device module 9

[mod:9 ]:

but below document clearly shows that the partition number as cf:4

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/fwsm/fwsm31/configuration/guide/switch_f.html#wpxref43058

has my copying (image/asdm) gone somewhere else, what is the recommended way to copy to correct partition.?

thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

Yes, that means the FWSM will automatically boot to cf:4 since nothing is specified. If you want cf:4 to show up in that output, you can run the 'boot device module 9 cf:4' command and it will set it for you.

On the FWSM, you can do 'dir flash:' to see the FWSM and ASDM images in flash, but keep in mind that there won't be any file name or version information here. This is because the FWSM can only hold one of each image at a time. Instead, you simply check 'show version' to see the FWSM and ASDM versions.

-Mike

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

mirober2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The procedure you followed is the correct one. If you do not explicitly set a boot partition, the module will always boot to cf:4. When you use the 'copy' command from the FWSM, the image is copied directly into the booted application partition (cf:4 in your case). Each time the firewall boots, it will load the last image you copied.

Hope that helps.

-Mike

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for your response. By my question was that if its loaded into applicaiton partition (cf:4) then why I cant see in show boot device module x as below:

Router# show boot device

[mod:1 ]:

[mod:2 ]:

[mod:3 ]:

[mod:4 ]: cf:4

Other question I have is that how can I see  (what is the command) the copied  image/asdm in the 6500 switch.?.

thanks in advance.

Hello,

The 'show boot device' output shows you which partition the module will boot into when it reloads, rather than what it is currently running. If there is nothing set, it will automatically try cf:4. You can set this value explicitly with the 'boot device module cf:4' command.

The 'show module version' command on the 6500 will show you the current running FWSM software version, but you cannot see the ASDM version from the 6500. This can only be seen in the 'show version' output on the FWSM itself.

-Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks again for your quick reply. My FWSM is in module 9, but when I give the show boot device command I can see below output.

wr01-cc4#show boot device module 9

[mod:9 ]:

So is that mean it is in cf:4?,

Actually I do not want to see the version of the image but the full image file such as show flash to see files on on ASA firewall, what is the command similar in FWSM?

thanks a lot again

Hello,

Yes, that means the FWSM will automatically boot to cf:4 since nothing is specified. If you want cf:4 to show up in that output, you can run the 'boot device module 9 cf:4' command and it will set it for you.

On the FWSM, you can do 'dir flash:' to see the FWSM and ASDM images in flash, but keep in mind that there won't be any file name or version information here. This is because the FWSM can only hold one of each image at a time. Instead, you simply check 'show version' to see the FWSM and ASDM versions.

-Mike

thanks Mike, now I got my answers..