cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

idsm4 sensing interfaces

rmulyadi
Level 1
Level 1

Is it recommended to enable all sensing interfaces (eth7&8) in this case?

I actually tried to, but it seems that all traffic always go to eth7. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

marcabal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

For the majority of deployments I generally recommend that you use only send packets to port 7 (data-port 1 if using Native IOS). And only enable port 7 within the IDSM-2 configuration.

The only time you need to use port 8 is for advanced configurations. This would include scenarios where port 7 may be monitoring as a VACL Capture port, and port 8 is monitoring as a Span destination port. If 2 different monitoring techniques or 2 different span sessions would be used for monitoring then both ports could be used.

But in most situations where only one monitoring method will be used then it is best to limit use to just port 7. Trying to use both port 7 and 8 could result in duplicate packets which could cause reduced performance as well possible false positives and in rare cases even missed attacks.

(1) What is int0 on the IDSM-2?

I am using the IDSM-2 and checking events in CiscoWorks Security Monitor I see "Incomplete DGram" and "No Initial Frag" events coming from int0.

(2) What can Interface Group 0 be used for?

There is an Int Group 0 in the config with Sensing-Int's int7 and int8 included. Both of these sensing interfaces are up. I am using VACLs to capture traffic and have int7 as the Capture Port. I cannot SPAN/VACL to Int Group 0 hence my question.

(3) I have int7 trunking the appropriate VLANs and set up as my VACL Capture port. Int8 is trunking the same VLANs but is not a VACL Capture or a SPAN port. With this setup I would not expect to see any events on int8 unless they are broadcast related, however I am seeing events being reported by int8 for unicast traffic that are not being reported by int7. How is this possible? If I were to shutdown int8 as recommended wouldn't that imply that I would miss these events?

1) What is int0 on the IDSM-2?

MC> This is a known bug on the IDSM-2. The IDSM-2 loses the mapping for the real interface (int 7 or int 8 in the case the IDSM-2). The interface number inadvertantly gets zeroed out when the sensor does not see all of the fragments for a datagram, and winds up reporting int0.

Which is why "Incomplete Dgram" and "No Initial Frag" are firing with int 0; these alerts are reporting that the sensor is not seeing all the fragments for a datagram which inadvertantly causes the sensor to zero out the the interface number.

(2) What can Interface Group 0 be used for?

MC> All of the sensor interfaces are combined into a single group 0. This way all of the packets from the interfaces in a group are treated as if they are from the same network. In the latest version of the sensors we only support 1 interface group (group 0) so all packets are treated as if they are on the same network.

In a future sensor version you would be able to create multiple interface groups. You could assign specific interfaces/vlans to each interface group. The packets from thoses interfaces/vlans would be treated as one network. You could then have different signatures and filters for each group. In effect you would turn your one physical sensor into a bunch of virtual sensors where each virtual sensor is monitoring a group of interfaces/vlans.

This is still just a plan for a future version, and there is no scheduled release date for the feature.

So you don't Span/Vacl to group 0, your span/vacl to an interface that belongs to group 0.

NOTE: group 0 and int 0 are different things. You are seeing int0 because of a bug.

(3) ... How is this possible? If I were to shutdown int8 as recommended wouldn't that imply that I would miss these events?

MC> Both int7 and int8 will receive broadcast and multi-cast traffic for the vlans they are trunking. Int7 will receive the unicast traffic on the vlans it is trunking that is specifically being marked for capture by the VACL capture feature.

BUT what many don't realize is that int7 and int8 will ALSO receive uni-cast traffic whose destination mac address is not yet in the switch's cam table.

The switch has a cam table that maps MAC Addresses to specific switch ports.

If a packet comes in with a destination MAC Address that is not in the cam table, then the switch will in effect broadcast it to all of the ports on that vlan (including both int7 and int8).

Once the other machine starts responding then the cam table gets updated and the switch sends the additional packets only to the responding machine's port. This also happens every now and then when mac addresses are aged out of the cam table, or if a cam table gets to full and some addresses are automatically removed from the cam table.

So it it possible and even likely that int7 and int8 will every now and then see uni-cast packets that were not specifically marked for capture.

So if both int7 and int8 are seeing the packet then why does the alarm show up as int8? The sensor is liekly able to tell that duplicate packets are seen and is throwing away the duplicate packet. The first packet seen is int8 (because the packet buffers aren't as full as on int7 where other packets are also being captured). So it marks it as an int8 packet. When it sees the same packet on int7 it throws it away. (Remember since both int7 and int8 are in group 0 it treats them as being on the same network and throws away the duplicate packet not caring that it came from another interface because it was in the same group)

So shutting down int8 would not likely cause you to miss these events. The sensor would stop seeing duplicate packets, and would just see the one packet on int7.