cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

mac-address security and ip addresses

rivitj
Level 1
Level 1

I have a catalyst 2924 with an isl connection to a catalyst 6509. On the 2924 I am using mac address security ie: port protected, port security max-mac-count 1, port security action shutdown. I have on port assigned to a different vlan than the other ports on the 2924. Question: I get link on all ports and everything seems to work fine except for one port which has a printer assigned to it. I hard coded the mac address to that port but I get no ip address for that printer. any suggestions?

1 Reply 1

craigking
Level 1
Level 1

Does the printer port become active on Layer2 (is ethernet up/up)? If so, then the mac-security would be okay, and I would start looking at Layer 3 (IP). If your printer is attempting to get it's IP address via DHCP, then I would guess that the VLAN in question does not have a DHCP server on it, or it is unreachable. If the DHCP server is located on VLAN2 on another switch, make sure you have VTP running properly within the switches and that VLAN2 is working properly across your trunk links (is VLAN2 permitted on your ISL link). If the DHCP server is on another VLAN/IP subnet, then you need to have routing enabled between the VLANs (most likely on the MSFC on the 6509), and DHCP forwarding set up properly on the router and DHCP server.

HTH,

CK