Level 1
Level 1

I need help configuring NAT on a Cisco 1710

The two interfaces being utilized are

int FastEthernet0

description connected to primary local area network

ip address 172.16.11.1 255.255.255.0

int Async5

description PPP connection from remote-users and extranet router using DDR (may have any peer address 0.0.0.0 )

ip address unumbered FastEthernet0

Here are the translations I want to occurr

I want all incoming ip packets on interface Async5 that are being routed to 172.16.11.0 subnet to appear as though they are originating from the FastEthernet0 interface.

Note: This looks like it would be accomplished by using NAT overload but I believe that involves marking the FastEthernet0 interface as be ip nat outside which it is not.

I also want any incoming ip packet on interface Async5 with a destination address on subnet 10.33.33.0 to have their destination network address translated to 172.16.11.0 but I want the host portion of the address to remain unchanged

Note: I think this would involve creating a nat pool of type match-host

If someone could give me guidance on how to do this and perhaps even a sample configuration I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

2 Replies 2

gfullage
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Haven't tested the following, but give it a go:

int fa0

ip nat outside

int async5

ip nat inside

ip nat inside source list 100 inter fa0 overload

access-list 100 permit ip any 172.16.11.0 0.0.0.255

ip nat inside destination list 110 pool natpool

ip nat pool natpool 172.16.11.0 172.16.11.255 pre 24 type match-host

access-list 110 permit ip any 10.33.33.0 0.0.0.255

As I said, haven't tested it, destination NAT is rarely used but this should get you close to what you want. Do a "sho ip nat trans" after running a few tests to show what you're getting.

Thanks gfullage,

The part of the solution you suggested using NAT overload is basically what I tried. It does work but unfornately it does require that I mark the actual inside port as outside and vice versa which I had hoped to avoid.

For some reason the I was never able to get a hit on access-list for the "match-host" translation you suggested. I have however found an alternate solution using static translations that appears to be working well.

The command is as follows

ip nat outside source static network 172.16.11.0 10.33.33.0 /24

At any rate the needed translations are occurring now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: