Views
Helpful
Replies

Propagate SGT Interface Command

GRANT3779
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi Folks,

Looking at the inline tagging config (CTS Manual) and I see this command is required on interfaces connecting the CTS devices.

Propagate SGT

Looking at the cisco documentation though there is a note for the above command that is slightly confusing. I may be misinterpreting it.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9600/software/release/16-11/configuration_guide/cts/b_1611_cts_9600_cg/configuring_sgt_inline_tagging.html

There is a note for propagate SGT that says :

Use this command in situations where the peer device is not capable of receiving SGT over Ethernet packets (that is, when a peer device does not support Cisco Ethertype CMD 0x8909 frame format).”

If we have CTS manual configured on an interface I’d have assumed the other end/peer device would have to be able to understand the ethertype or the frame would be dropped.

Am I missing something in the Cisco Note?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

@GRANT3779 

Yes the other device directly connected must support cts inline tagging. If one device does not then this is where you'd need to use SXP to transport the bindings.

I would have thought the command "no propagate sgt" would be required if the peer device does not support inline tagging - which I am not sure that statement means.

I thought it was a one off typo but checking the cisco documentation for other hardware and IOS versions it says the same. Might be a copy and paste job gone wrong but glad it isn't me that thinks it doesn't look quite right in the context.