cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Proxyarp Question

j.allred
Level 1
Level 1

We just switched to a PIX 515e and ran into the infamous proxyarp issue with our internal users loosing connectivity to servers that had static mappings in the PIX. (Mostly our Exchange server.) I turned off the proxyarp on the inside interface and the DMZ interface. This fixed the connectivity issues but created a new issue. We host our company web server on the DMZ and can no longer reach it from the internal network. If I turn proxyarp back on for the DMZ interface access to the company website returns but so do the connectivity issues. Anyone have a fix for this?

4 Replies 4

mvalentine
Level 1
Level 1

i ran into this as well, i added a static arp entry and it fixed my problem.

arp if_name ip_address mac_address

Thanks for the response. I am somewhat new to this. Where would I apply this static arp? Inside, DMZ? The goal would be for the web server to be able to respond to requests from the internal network.

Thanks!!

Sorry my first answer might be wrong. What exactly was the proxy arp problem, did you lose connectivety through the pix because the arp entries timed out or did you run into dns/web server connectivety issues like th eones in this lin

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_tech_note09186a0080094aee.shtml

If it was the first (arp timeouts) then you need a static entry if not look at the link because I think it's what you're experiencing

mvoight
Level 1
Level 1

When I most often see proxy arp issues, it is due to an incorrect use of the "static" command. For instance,

static (inside, dmz) if the address you are translating is actually that of a host on the dmz. In the latest PIX version, you can resolve this by making it "static (dmz,inside)". Generally, if the host is on the outermost interface of the pairing, then there is no need to NAT it in the first place.

So, before disabling proxy arp, examine your "static" statements and make sure you aren't trying to use static to nat the outermost host in the setup.