cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Public DNS

winanjaya
Level 1
Level 1

I am very new with this, I have configured Internal DNS on RedHat 8.0 and it ran properly, what I want is to make it as public DNS (accessible for everybody in the world but secure)? .. where can I find complete article for this purpose? .. any prompt reply would be greatly appreciated and many thanks in advance.

Regards

Winanjaya

3 Replies 3

moriarty7
Level 1
Level 1

I don't know if any articles off hand, but it sounds like you need to just add a static translation for your DNS server and allow tcp AND udp port 53 in to it. You will also want to make certain that your DNS server is not configured to take updates remotely. If you need more specific information, just post your question!

Hope this helped!

Craig Young

Thanks for your reply, what I want is to make my DNS server recorgnized to everybody in the world .. now my DNS Server is only can be recorgnized / use for internal user only.. I need your advice .. many thanks in advance

Regards

Winanjaya

If you want users on the Internet to be able to access your server to use in their IP settings, all you need to do is create a "static" NAT translation for the server to an outside IP, and create an inbound rule in your access-list or conduit (whichever you are using). Assuming an inside address of 10.10.10.10 and an outside address of 20.20.20.20 here is an example:

static (inside,outside) 20.20.20.20 10.10.10.10 netmask 255.255.255.255

access-list inbound permit tcp any host 20.20.20.20 eq domain

access-list inbound permit udp any host 20.20.20.20 eq domain

access-group inbound in interface outside

If you are looking to host a DNS zone on your server, you will have to complete the above steps and have your DNS registrant update the NS records with the new outside IP of 20.20.20.20. Let me know if you need more clarification.

Craig