cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Roaming Users and MAC-based Port Security

timothy.sheehan
Level 1
Level 1

I manage a WAN with 125 switches spread out among 50 offices.  In the past what we have done port security-wise was to disable any unused ports.  So, if a new workstation/printer needed to be deployed, my group would have to be notified to enable a port for the new device.  In addition, we have quite a few employees that travel from office to office with laptops.  I would like to know if it is possible to implement mac-based port security, but still allow for the laptop users to connect wherever they may be?   

2 Replies 2

Hi Timothy,

I guess, it won't help much. You can assign mac-address port security only through port by port basis. So if you configure port security on one port, the employee must plug his/her notebook only on that port. Now I suppose the switch will be in the server room. The socket which is patched to this switch port should also be in the right room/position.  There are multiple factors and acording to my understanding it will be bit unrealistic. 

Regards,

Rikshit

Hi Rikshit,

You replied: "You can assign mac-address port security only through port by port basis".  Isn't there a way to create a list of mac addresses that are allowed anywhere on the network?  So for example, I could create a db of all the field employees' laptop mac addresses and allow those addresses access to any port.  Possible?