Views
Helpful
Replies

Router CA enroll requests failing...

maxgeezer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Would anyone be able to suggest why a 2610 router running 12.3(1a) which I have configured in a lab environment is failing to enroll to a Windows2000 Server running Certificate Services and SCEP?

Upon issuing "crypto ca enroll securitylab" I receive the following "debug crypto pki trans" output:

Dec 11 11:49:52.312: Signed Attributes:

Dec 11 11:49:52.316: CRYPTO_PKI: status = 101: certificate request is rejected

Dec 11 11:49:52.320: CRYPTO_PKI: Fail Info=2

Dec 11 11:49:52.320: CRYPTO_PKI: All enrollment requests completed for trustpoin

t securitylab.

Dec 11 11:49:52.324: %CRYPTO-6-CERTREJECT: Certificate enrollment request was re

jected by Certificate Authority

Dec 11 11:49:52.324: CRYPTO_PKI: All enrollment requests completed for trustpoin

t securitylab

I have searched all over and I cannot find out what status 101 or Fail Info 2 means. The debug output looks like the CA is rejecting the enroll request but I cannot work out why. Certificate Services has been installed as a Standalone CA.

"crypto ca authenticate securitylab" looks to authenticate OK, I do not receive any errors.

I have also tried this with 12.3(5) and I get the same results.

Many thanks

Max...

5 Replies 5

gfullage
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What's your crypto config on the router look like? Have you installed the MSCEP DLL onto the CA server?

Hi - thanks for your reply.

The crypto VPN config is as follows:

crypto ca trustpoint securitylab

enrollment mode ra

enrollment url http://172.19.1.7:80/certsrv/mscep/mscep.dll

serial-number

ip-address none

crl optional

I can confirm that I installed SCEP from cepsetup.exe and I can successfully http to the SCEP URL.

Any pointers would be appreciated as at the moment I am rather stuck.

Cheers!

Max...

Hi Glenn

Any further thoughts on this issue? Any other replies would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Max...

Have you tried restarting the "Worldwide Web Service" on the 2000 server. Sounds like a "known" issue in MSCEP.DLL on 2000 that goes into "deny everything" mode.

Point is, that it might as well be you CA server having problems, check eventlog, etc.

Hi

Thanks for this but I have already been down this route. To prove this wasn't the case I attempted to enroll against a different working CA, again using SCEP and MS Certificate Services. This also didn't work.

I think this issue probably points to something IOS related as other routers running a different IOS are fine. The problem I have is that the other working IOS isn't supported on the 2600 series I am testing with.

It would be great if someone could identify what the error and status numbers mean in the above debug.

Max...