cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using FWSM as a promiscous port in a PVLAN setting

tmcmurray
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I would like to configure a private vlan (PVLAN) to use an internal FWSM (6509) as a router. I understand that the FWSM uses 6 "ports" with which it speaks to the sup720, question is What is the port that I could set to promiscous mode?

As an example, if I were using an MSFC to route, I would set 16/1 to promiscous.

5 Replies 5

nkhawaja
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Could you elaborate. What do you mean by setting a port in promiscous mode? I dont think these ports are configurable.

thanks

Nadeem

Hi,

I have a similar query regarding Private Vlans and FWSM.

My understanding is that when creating PVlans you assign a Primary Vlan eg. 100 and associate secondary Pvlans to it, either community or isolated.

In order to enable out of Vlan access you need to define either physical Layer 2 ports as promiscous (as these should connect to Routers), or Layer 3 Vlan Ports.

This works fine for a switch with MSFC or in my instance a Sup720.

But can you do it with an onboard FWSM?

These have 6 virtual ports based on slot inserted, mine for example is in slot 3 and it shows as 3/1, 3/2, 3/3, 3/4, 3/5, 3/6 (I found this while implementing qos and a "show mls qos").

But in running config these interfaces do not appear.

Can you assign FWSM virtual ports as promiscous, or is FWSM incompatible with Private Vlans?

Many thanks!

Hi,

Sorry - one of the limitations of FWSM virtual interfaces is that you cannot use it with PVLANs

You can use MSFC or a external firewall or layer 3 device.

rafals
Level 1
Level 1

The usage of private vlans is not yet supported

with FWSM but is planned for release with version 3.1 of the FWSM software - information from Cisco TAC.

Cheers Guys!