cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VMS 2.2 Installation: CPU-100%;Dmgtd refuses to start(Pro);JRun(Advanced)

amienodavid
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have been having unusual experiences so far on an evaluation process of CISCO VMS 2.2 Product. My Two scenario goes this way:

Scenario-One

Window Professional:SP4,IE6: For this installation Cisco Daemon manager will never start as it always indicates a window error;however, the Ciscoworks2000 web page opens and seems to operate very well.After defing relevant IDS parameters and on trying to lunch the event viewer in Security Monitor section under the IDS MC modules, I always get the error as detail below:

" Socket error: Server could not communicate with...Please ensure that the service is started...."

Scenario Two: Advanced Server,SP3:

In this scenario, the JRUN Proxy Sever will never start as it always indicates the following error:

" Could not start the following server on local computer....The service did not return an internal error."

In this scenario, the Ciscoworks GUI will always give the error :

" Could not open JRUN Proxy Connector...."

For the two scenario above, the installation were done using an Administrator account both on local and domain but not on a domain controller machine.

Also, in both scenarios, the CPU utilization is always high at 100% even with VMS 2.2 SP2 installed.

Please, kindly assist in solving this problem by suggesting what need to be done on my side or wherever.

Thanks

David -

MTN Nigeria

6 Replies 6

nkhawaja
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

One of the reasons this can happen is if there was a change made for the casuser account on the

CW2000 box. This is the internal user account CIscoworks uses for all its internal

processes. There

is no way to check if the causer password has been changed. However, we can always reset

it.

Please do following to reset the casuser account.

- on server's dos prompt, "cd ...\CSCOpx\setup\support"

- run "resetCasuser.exe"

- reboot box after above steps

Thanks

Nadeem

Hello Nadeem/All,

I sincerely appreciate your quick response to my problem.I have made the change as you suggested on both installations(Pro and Advanced), and surprisingly, the installation on the Window Pro machine is working perfectly now with daemon manager started and CPU Utilization being normal.

However, for the Advanced Server machine, all other services are still quite fine except the JRUN Proxy that is yet to start.

Once again, this is the exact error I usually for the Window 2000 Advanced Server installation:

"Could not connect to JRun Connector Proxy

Please contact the system administrator for this web site."

Thanks a lot Nadeem. I still hope to receiving the solution to the second problem

David

Hi,

Not sure what is hapening there, but a couple of suggestions

1- does your Advance Server meet minimum requirement?

2- Is deamon manager starting at all?

3- You may try to apply the udpates/ patches. Have you applied any patches yet?

See the link

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/cw2000/cw2000_b/vpnman/vms_2_2/brvms22.htm#wp88455

Thanks

Nadeem

Hi,

I also had the same causer problem which made it impossible for ciscodeamon to start. Once you reset the causer, if you still get the JRUN problem, it is most definitely a problem with the JAVA version you have installed or the JAVA setting in your browser.

First, check if there is another aplication running JRE on your machine. If there is, and in my case, I have netforensics running JAVA 1.4.1 there could be a conflict.

If there is no conflict, make sure that the deafult version of JAVA you have running is 1.3.1.

The first thing is to be sure that you have Java 1.3.1 running. Go to Start/Settings/Control Panel.

You should see JAVA Control Panel icon. You should see at least 1 but could be 2 if you have 2 versions installed. To be on the safe side, delete any other version other than 1.3.1. Actually, you could keep both versions but jujst be sure that at least one of the versions is 1.3.1.

Then go check your browser. If you are running IE version 6.0+, go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced scroll down the list and look for the JAVA icon (looks like a coffe cup, just the same icon you saw when you opened up control panle above.)

If you see that Java icon, check to see if "Use Jave 2..." was selected. If so, uncheck it, that is make sure it is NOT selected.

You really don't need to restart the machine but close ALL IE windows, and before you close the last explorer, just to be on the safe side, empty the cookies.

On a final note, I have noticed that it is good to disable any other securiy app you have running. I had to delete Cisco Security Agent, trend Micro Anti vius solution and a few other apps, any time I am performing troubleshooting. So, do the same.

Then restart the IExplorer and if you still get the JRE error, let me know.

Best regards,

Ade Wale

Snr. Security Architect

SMUD

Sometimes when you download JRE 1.4, you may be able to go to control panel and open up the java icon you see there.

Hello Nadeem/Adewale/All,

I have tried the suggested options as provided by you all.

-the server meets the minimum requirement,

-the daemon is running,

-patches-SP2 was applied immediately after the Common services were installed,

-java settings clearly configured,

A fresh OS installation may fix this problem on the Advanced Server installation but with the Pro installation working well,I think this might be the next option for the Adv Server.However, kindly help out should you found any relevant solution to the problem.

Thanks

David

Hi David,

Do you have CSA running at all? If so, what agent kit do you have installed? Try to disable CSA for now. Go to the CSA Mgt Server and disable or stop the CSA service. Then try to bring up the appplication again. IF this fails, or if you don't have CSA running, then do a complete uninstall of the application, NOT the OS yet, (it appears you are in eval mode anyway and this is not a production environment) and then do a new install. Let's know if it works.

I can assist offline if you need more info. email me.

Ade Wale