Views
Helpful
Replies

VMS and using MS Terminal Services Clarification

r.pado
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

Reading the VMS System Requirements section of the Quick Start Guide for the VPN/Security Management Solution 2.2 (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/cscowork/ps2330/products_quick_start09186a00801e55d5.html#wp94193), I read the following requirement for Wintel platforms:

•Windows 2000 Professional, Server, and Advanced Server (Service Pack 4).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note Support for Advanced Server requires turning Terminal Services off. See your Microsoft documentation.

Does turning Terminal Sevices off apply to only Advanced Server or does it apply across the entire Windows 2000 family of products?

4 Replies 4

travis-dennis_2
Level 7
Level 7

It's across the board. Server maintanince can be handled through logging on locally, VNC or some other remote method. ALsmost all tasks for managing VMS can be handled through the web interface

Hope this helps.

Travis

Thanks for the clarification. One follow-up question I have is why is VNC OK, but not Term Services? I ask this as we have a Vendor who insists on managing our NIDS via MS TS, however I am concerned why Cisco specifically called out not to use it.

Thanks!

The way that VNC works you are actually controling the computer from the console, as if you were right there on it. TS is of course an interface that allows you to do pretty much everything but there are some limitations and you are not actually loggin onto the console. I am not 100% on this but I seem to recall that some of the services that run on a VMS box have conflicts with TS. Other apps, Call Manager for instance, have no problems with TS.

Thanks,

Travis

Hope this helps

Please remember to rate all replies.

The problem is that terminal server uses a separate local profile. Some information, for example registry, might just be stored in this profile and not globaly. So if you installing software with the Temrinal Services you could have troubles. But if you just doing some local file moving stuff there is no problem.

VNC uses the same user profile as your Admin in the same way as you were locally on the Server.

sincerly

Patrick