Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Setup for small business

huyan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone, 

My customer wants me to build a server and network for an company (60 employees) and in the future this office will be connected to 2 other offices (10 employees/each). 

In the past, for other companies with similar size (~60 employees), I would use 1 Sonicwall TZ400, 2 Cisco SG500 Switches, 2 Meraki AP. The network is flat, all is on VLAN1. 

However, since I just got a CCNP R&S, I would like to apply what I studied in reality. Could you suggest a network setup for this scenario? I read some articles online. They suggest to use Meraki for small business but I am not really interested in Meraki because I will have to pay for licenses and what is more important is  I can't can't apply what I learned in CCNP.

Also, where should I buy Cisco devices and licenses? I checked Amazon (USA) but very few are sold there. Once,  I tried to contact a Cisco sale to ask about Email Security service but when I told them about the size of the company, I didn't receive any further replies. I have a feeling that Cisco is not interested in small business? Maybe I am wrong since we have this section for small business :)

Please help me to answer 2 questions above: 

- what is a suggested network setup for small business (60 employees)?

- where should I Cisco devices and licenses from?

Any help is appreciated. 

Best, 

Huyan.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,
Give the size of the office, it is classed as 'small branch' by cisco design standards. As such the topology should just include a router and enough switches to provide the required port density to connect all your edge devices. As for APs, stick with autonomous models that don't require a controller.

Regarding the logical layout, it would probably be sufficient to have just three VLANs, one for PCs, one for servers and another for wireless clients...and perhaps a fourth for printers. All the routing would be done on a router (ISR1000) where zone-base firewalling would provide your security.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/1000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/index.html

It sounds like you were trying to engage with cisco professional services with your order, so I'm not surprised they didn't follow it up...albeit a little rude. You've not said where you are located but just google your country and 'cisco reseller' and you should get some results.

Someone like CDW has a good global footprint. TBH I never get involved with placing orders.

cheers,
Seb.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,
Give the size of the office, it is classed as 'small branch' by cisco design standards. As such the topology should just include a router and enough switches to provide the required port density to connect all your edge devices. As for APs, stick with autonomous models that don't require a controller.

Regarding the logical layout, it would probably be sufficient to have just three VLANs, one for PCs, one for servers and another for wireless clients...and perhaps a fourth for printers. All the routing would be done on a router (ISR1000) where zone-base firewalling would provide your security.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/1000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/index.html

It sounds like you were trying to engage with cisco professional services with your order, so I'm not surprised they didn't follow it up...albeit a little rude. You've not said where you are located but just google your country and 'cisco reseller' and you should get some results.

Someone like CDW has a good global footprint. TBH I never get involved with placing orders.

cheers,
Seb.

Jo Kern
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Huyan,

in the same family as the SG500 switches there are also access points and security appliances. E.g. Cisco RV340 and Cisco WAP581 which are really designed for networks of this size. The router and the AP are configurable through a GUI.

You do not require licenses except for the RV340 security license ( AntiVirus, IPS, Internet App Control, Client Control, Dynamic Websecurity) which is probably the most affordable license for UTM like device.

The WiFi access points are professional access point with a uniques single point of configuration ( controller less )

The RV340 comes in WiFi version, PoE Version, 16 LAN ports version and an enhanced security license.

All Cisco, all lifetime warranty, all free software updates.

If you really want to use Cisco IOS commands and install Cisco IOS based devices you would need to go to a Cisco official reseller. https://locatr.cloudapps.cisco.com/WWChannels/LOCATR/openBasicSearch.do

OR checkout CDW https://www.cdw.com/. There you will find ASA 5506 or ISR1100 routers which are being used in the largest companies and support all flavors of interfaces and features.

Hope this helps

Jo

Thank you Seb and Jo for your valuable advice. It helps me a lot.