cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving camera storage to different directories

m.yost
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to move camera recordings from one directory to another on the VSMs?  For example, we have (11) 2TB virtual hard drives which correspond to /media1 to /media11.  We currently 1 or 2 cameras (about 10-14 cameras total) recording to each directory consuming about 500GB-1GB of storage on each virtual hard drive.  Is it possible to move where the recordings are being dumped so that we only consume maybe 3-4 2TB virtual disks rather than all 11?

The reason for asking is that we need to upgrade from 7.6 to either 7.10 or 7.11 and I noticed in 7.11.1 that they support upgrading by backup/restore to a new VM...however, I don't have any available storage since the person that set this up consumed the entire VMware datastore by creating all the thick provisioned disks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Moving the SMD files which contain video is not possible, how we move the archive by moving the pointer to the new partition and recording video there. As the video grooms off the old partition, the archive is moved. Once a retention period elapses, the archive will be moved without actually moving any of the SMD files.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Michael Solomonides
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is absolutely possible! What you need is the Chloc script. I'll open up a TAC case and get that sent over for you.

Thank you so much.  I have a case open w/ TAC already and the guy told me that it wasn't possible to do so I started going down the inline upgrade path....

Moving the SMD files which contain video is not possible, how we move the archive by moving the pointer to the new partition and recording video there. As the video grooms off the old partition, the archive is moved. Once a retention period elapses, the archive will be moved without actually moving any of the SMD files.

Ahh ok...  We did talk about telling the cameras to record in a different location but then having to wait 30 days for the old video to age out.  He just didn't give me as much detail as you did.  The problem is that the project can't wait 30 days so I think I'm stuck with the inline upgrade.

Thanks for your help....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: