cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VSOM 7.x with 6.x Media Servers?

jeremyarcher
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone confirm that the Video Surveillance Manager Release 7.x is NOT compatible with the 6.x Media Servers?

I don't see any mention of this in the Release Notes.

It would seem ridiculous to me that the 7.x Manager wouldn't work with the 6.x Media servers - this would mean an entire enterprise upgrade for folks hoping to upgrade.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Understood. Yes in that scenario it will not work. The leap from 6.x to 7.x is a migration not an upgrade. There is no backwards compatibility

The good news is that leap is well worth it (speaking as an end user)

The bad news in your situation is it's "migrate all at once or none"

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jason Rossi
Level 1
Level 1

It is compatible with CIVS series servers. I have deployed it onto CIVS-4RU servers here no problem which were running 6.x previously.

Thanks, Jason.  I appriciate the help.

Our physical security stuff got dumped into my lap when our regular guy quit.  It's left me in a bit of a bind.

I'm not fimiliar with the CIVS servers.  Right now we need to replace our VSOM server (the head-end management system) with a new box.  Our partner has explained that a new 7.x VSOM server won't work with our existing 6.x media servers.  Truth be told, this sounded really suspect to me.  So am I correct in beliving then that a 7.x VSOM server will work just fine with our 6.x media servers (to which the cameras connect and send video data)?

Thanks!

Edit: Our existing 6.x media servers are running Red Hat on non-Cisco hardware.

Got it, and thanks for the additional context. So what you are asking is "can my integrator do a factory install of 6.x on one of these new MSP-CPS series servers".

I haven't tried that (and have no interest in doing so, 7.x is so pleasant).

Any of you Integrators want to chime in?

That's not exactly what I'm wondering.  We have quite a few 6.x media servers at our remote locations.  They used to back-end into our 6.x VSOM server.  That VSOM server now needs to be replaced.  Moreover, we also now need two more media servers. We've been told that if we were to buy a 7.x VSOM server as a replacement that it won't communicate / wrok with our existing 6.x media servers.

My preference is to buy a 7.x VSOM and media server and just upgrade the existing 6.x media servers as necessary.

Also, thanks for the help.

Understood. Yes in that scenario it will not work. The leap from 6.x to 7.x is a migration not an upgrade. There is no backwards compatibility

The good news is that leap is well worth it (speaking as an end user)

The bad news in your situation is it's "migrate all at once or none"

Thanks, Jason. 

Well, that really sucks.  Given the hardware requirements for 7.x it really puts us into a bind.  Not only does it mean a software migration but it also means a hardware replacement.  That's an expensive proposition for companies in our shoes.

Thanks again for the help!

Jason Rossi
Level 1
Level 1

Keep in mind that 7.x does run on the 6.x CIVS servers.

One option to bridge the migration would be to:

1) Use one of your remaining 6.x servers as the new 6.x VSOM.

2) order your 3 new servers (1 VSOM and 2 media servers) on the 7.x platform

3) Over time as budgets allow transition 6.x boxes to 7.x software by way of adding licenses

That would unfortunately put you in a situation where you have "2 systems" running side by side until the transition is complete.

FWIW during our transition I did have cameras recording on 6.x servers AND streaming to 7.x on stream B at the same time making it easier on the operator to just use 1 system for on demand viewing. It's totally not supported and maybe it only worked by accident.

Once you get 7.x running side by side with 6.x you'll want to finish the transition ASAP. 7 is soooo much nicer.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: