cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACS 5.3 - How to copy DB to a new instance of ACS 5.3

davehorch
Level 1
Level 1

I need to copy an existing ACS 5.3 database to another instance of ACS 5.3 that I've deployed.  I can't set up a primary/secondary between these two and do the deed via replication.  So it's going to have to be a export/import or a backup/restore.  I've been searching for days for a solution to what surely is a trivial task.

Does anyone have any hints on how to do this?  Either the CLI or the GUI is fine with me.  I feel like an idiot...

-drh

5 Replies 5

aqjaved
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks Aqeel for the reply.  I have already looked at the CSV Import Tools, and that may be the way to go.  But if that's the ultimate way to go, then how does one get the .csv built by somehow exporting the acs53 database that I want to copy?

There also seems to be export/import command using the CLI

(see "export-data" in  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_secure_access_control_system/5.3/command/reference/cli_app_a.html#wp1893300).  But I get hung up on figuring out how to specify a "remote repository" on the IMPORT side of the deal.

???

-drh

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

You are not idiot at all. This is a problem that I was facing myself (not exact issue but very similar).

Now, I think there is no supported way to move the DB itself in cisco docs. There is a way where you can copy the DB files via FTP from the old machine and restore them in the new machine. That will need a root patch to have a root access to both boxes.

If you are authorized to open TAC cases then please directly do because they know better about the steps.

But I am thinking about one thing, You can build your new ACS servers from scratsh and put them up on the network then remove the old machine. Keep the old machine up without putting it on the network so that you can access it the time you need.

Let the new DB grow on the new server and after a few months you can just remove the old machine because you don't want that DB anymore (if you are keeping the DB on the old machine and it was operational the old data will be deleted anyway as per your retention period you configure on the ACS).

So, I suggest (which is easier for you of possible) to keep the old machine running with access to the DB and install new servers and keep their own DB. After the retention period passes and you don't want the old data anymore just remove the machine.

one other way (did not try it at all) is to take a full view DB backup from old machine and then configure same repository on the new machine. The full backup file may appear on the "Resotre" page where you can choose it and restore (I am not sure if old and new machines need to be with same hostname for the file to appear. you try it anyway it may work).

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Anas Naqvi
Level 1
Level 1

davehorch
Level 1
Level 1

Here's what I got from Cisco TAC.  It worked,  You need to first have an FTP server set up.  You can use Filezilla Server for this and just put it on your PC, then make sure the user and password you want to use are defined on the FTP server.

1.            Create a Repository:

Acs/admin# config terminal

Acs/admin(config)# repository anyname

Acs/admin(config-Repository)# url ftp://X.X.X.X  (your FTP server IP)

Acs/admin(config-Repository)# user ftp_username password plain ftp_password

Acs/admin(config-Repository)# exit

2.            Create a Backup file:

Acs/admin# acs backup backup_file_name repository repository_name

3. Once you have the backup file, you can create a repository in your new server and save the backup file there.

Acs/admin# config terminal

Acs/admin(config)# repository anyname

Acs/admin(config-Repository)# url ftp://X.X.X.X  (your FTP server IP)

Acs/admin(config-Repository)# user ftp_username password plain ftp_password

Acs/admin(config-Repository)# exit

4. Once that is done you can run this command to restore the backup:

Acs/admin#  acs restore backup_file_name repository repository_name