cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
Shams Dimashki
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone

I have a project to share the internet across multiple flats.

I am planning to distribute multiple SOHO router for each flat to provide Wifi for the users

The problem is how can I do subnetting or use multiple VLAN for these flats (each network must be separate)

For the first step, I assigned static IP for each SOHO router (TP link MR3420) and stop the DHCP for each.

The ISP router doesn't have routing capabilities and I can't change it as well.

Can anybody tell me how I can do subnetting with a cheap and active solution ?

ShamsDimashki_0-1726812754564.png

5 Comments
balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is this real environment or Lab ?

If real environment, you need to invest on good AAA (like ISE to make it work)

since you looking to have one SSID for all Flats i guess 

you have not mentioned what WLC and AP you have - Do you have any cisco equipment here ? (if not then you are in wrong forum also post correct forum to get correct replies all time)

This required quite design consideration and lot of input required, better contact local cisco partner to help you.

Shams Dimashki
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Balaji

Thanks for your comment

This is a only a lab but I am planning for a real project 

The SSID is unique for each flat so no need for WLC

for the authentication, I will use WPA2 personal included in each SOHO router 

All the mentioned AP can be any model as its purpose is to provide Wifi to the users

My problem is how can I make each flat isolated from others? 

Shall i add any other switch or layer 3 router to make it work? and which brand is suitable ?

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As i mentioned this requires proper design and planning.

what SOHO Router ? This is cisco FORUM if this is not Cisco Router, then you need to post your query to Respected FORUM to address correctly.

If you installing each SOHO Router, then you need to Look Like DSL and DSLAM based to get an idea for you how you can distribute with central end HUB.

All the mentioned AP can be any model as its purpose is to provide Wifi to the users  - this was not clear to me is the SOHO router have AP built in ? or AP will be separated ?

godofprogrammer
Level 1
Level 1

To separate each flat's network, you can use VLANs for isolation and subnetting. Since your ISP router doesn't support routing or VLANs, I suggest adding a managed switch that supports VLANs between the ISP router and your SOHO routers. You can assign different VLANs to each flat's router to keep the networks separate.

You could also add a cheap router/firewall like a used Cisco router or a low-cost device that supports VLANs and routing between networks. This way, each flat gets its own subnet and stays isolated.

Hope this helps!

Shams Dimashki
Level 1
Level 1

Dear godofprogrammer 

Very helpful

Really appreciate your effort

Thank you

Welcome to the Project Gallery!

This is a place for Cisco customers and partners to share stories about their technology projects.

Use the comment section to ask a question, make a suggestion or just say well done. If you like a project, thank the author by clicking the Helpful button at the end of the post!

Did you complete a deployment recently? Share your great work with fellow community members! No project is too big or too small.