Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments

Hello Cisco Community members,

I'm currently working on a project to implement a Cisco SD-WAN solution for a multi-site network, and I would greatly appreciate some guidance and insights from the community.

Our organization has multiple branch offices located in different cities, and we're looking to leverage Cisco SD-WAN to optimize network performance, improve reliability, and simplify management.

Here are some specific questions I have:

1. What are the recommended hardware and software components for deploying a Cisco SD-WAN solution in a multi-site environment?
  2. How should I plan and design the network architecture to ensure efficient traffic routing and failover between sites?
  3. Are there any best practices or considerations for configuring policies, Quality of Service (QoS), and security measures within the Cisco SD-WAN solution?
  4. Are there any potential challenges or common pitfalls I should be aware of during the deployment and ongoing maintenance of the solution?

I have a basic understanding of Cisco networking technologies, but I'm relatively new to SD-WAN. Any resources, documentation, or personal experiences that you can share would be immensely helpful.

Thank you all in advance for your support and expertise.

Best regards,
The Toilet Helper

4 Comments
alerestigoy
Level 1
Level 1

Recommended Hardware and Software Components:

1. Cisco SD-WAN Devices: You'll need Cisco SD-WAN routers or appliances, such as the Cisco ISR series, to serve as edge devices at each site.

2. Cisco vManage: This is the central management and orchestration platform for the SD-WAN solution. You'll need a Cisco vManage device.

3. Cisco vSmart: These devices act as the brains of the SD-WAN, making routing decisions. They should be deployed redundantly for high availability.

4. Cisco vBond: The vBond orchestrator helps devices establish secure connections. Redundancy is recommended for vBond as well.

5. Underlay Connectivity: Ensure reliable underlay connectivity, such as MPLS, Internet, and 4G/5G connections, to each site. Redundant connections are typically recommended for failover.

Network Architecture Design:

1. Site Design: Plan your SD-WAN sites based on the locations and traffic patterns. Consider the use of regional hubs or data centers.

2. Topology: Implement a full or partial mesh topology for efficient traffic routing. Use Dynamic Multipoint VPN (DMVPN) for secure, scalable communication between sites.

3. Traffic Engineering: Define traffic classes, priorities, and preferred paths for various types of traffic (e.g., voice, video, data) to ensure optimal routing.

4. Failover Design: Plan for automatic failover to secondary WAN links in case of primary link failure. Consider using Cisco Performance Routing (PfR) for intelligent traffic steering.

Configuration Best Practices:

1. Policies: Define policies to match application and network traffic to specific links, ensuring that traffic takes the most appropriate path.

2. Quality of Service (QoS): Implement QoS policies to prioritize real-time and critical applications, such as VoIP or video conferencing.

3. Security: Configure security policies, including stateful firewall rules, intrusion prevention, and encryption for data in transit. Ensure secure connections between SD-WAN components.

Challenges and Common Pitfalls:

1. Complexity: SD-WAN deployments can be complex, especially in multi-site environments. Adequate planning and training are essential to avoid common pitfalls.

2. Bandwidth and Link Selection: Incorrectly configured or overestimated bandwidth and link selection can lead to suboptimal performance.

3. Security: Security configurations are critical. Ensure the security of your SD-WAN solution by configuring firewall policies and encryption correctly.

4. Redundancy: Implement redundancy and failover mechanisms at each layer of the architecture to minimize downtime.

5. Monitoring and Maintenance: Establish proper monitoring and maintenance procedures to quickly detect and respond to issues.

6. Application Visibility: Ensure visibility into application performance to optimize QoS and traffic routing.

ammahend
VIP
VIP

Cisco has 2 SD-WAN offering, Meraki SD-WAN and VIPTELA (or Catalyst) SD-WAN.

I would recommend you to talk to a Cisco Partner in your area, you can find a partner at partner locator  here

In provider level under advance search select Meraki SD-WAN and Catalyst SD-WAN, just call them and ask for a demo, most partners will be happy to engage a presales Engg with you and then discuss your needs with them in detail.

thank you for sharing thias posting with Godrej Woodscape.

markdillon
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for sharing Cisco Material With The Prestige City Hyderabad.

Welcome to the Project Gallery!

This is a place for Cisco customers and partners to share stories about their technology projects.

Use the comment section to ask a question, make a suggestion or just say well done. If you like a project, thank the author by clicking the Helpful button at the end of the post!

Did you complete a deployment recently? Share your great work with fellow community members! No project is too big or too small.