Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

Who Me Too'd this topic

RV042 routing issue

pmc
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to use the rv042 as a primary internet connection, and also as a failover VPN for my primary private WAN connection.

I have a load balancer / failover device, called a Fiberlogic, which acts as the main router for my remote office's network.  This device tells all traffic for my private network to go to connection A, and all traffic for the internet to go to connection B (connection B is the rv042).  If the fiberlogic sees that connection A is down, it will send the private network traffic to connection B.  The RV042 has a VPN setup, I've tested that, and that works.

However, I'm having a VERY difficult time getting the RV042 to act as our internet gateway.  The RV042 is in 'gateway' mode.  Devices plugged into it directly (or via an exteral switch) work fine.  The RV042's LAN is 10.2.254.0/24, and it is .1.  The FiberLogic is .254.  The main network is 10.2.0.0/24 (and the FiberLogic is .1).  The FiberLogic routes all traffic for the internet (and for failover) to 10.2.254.1.  I've setup a static route to have the RV042 route 10.2.0.0/24 to 10.2.254.254.

I had a ton of problems with this earlier today.  I have a second RV042 that I put in to see if that would fix it.  It didn't.  Finally I restored factory defaults, and reset it up, and I thought it was working.  As I was cleaning up I did a last test - and it failed.

I've setup a hub between the FiberLogic and the RV042, and setup a computer with Wireshark to do some packet traces.  I get odd results.  I never get a repyl.  SOMETIMES I can see the replies coming from 10.2.254.1 (the RV042) to 10.2.0.25 (my workstation) in wireshark, although I don't get them (odd).  However, whenever I ping out to the internet, I never even see the replies, only the requests.

I read that DHCP needs to be off for static routing to work.  I've tried it with and without DHCP several times.  I tried it with and without the VPN.

Again, devices not behind the fiberlogic work fine (i.e. devices on the 10.2.254.0/24 subnet that are using the RV042 as their gateway).  ut behind the fiberlogic, devices fail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Who Me Too'd this topic