Views
Helpful
Replies

1-1 NAT for seconday subnet RV082

willbdaniels
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

The business I work for recently switched over to a business class ethernet, which provides a range of 14 public static IP addresses. Now, the issue is that I want to be able to have the router automatically route 13 of the 14 static public IP's to a subnet on 192.168.100.* (all static IP's), and have the remaining static IP go to our primary network, which resides on 192.168.0.* using DHCP. I've attached an image of what our network roughly looks like. 

Now, to accomplish this, I've turned on the multiple subnet feature of the RV082, having the primary be the 192.168.0.* and the first 'additional' subnet be the 192.168.100.*. This worked fine for setting up the subnet, I was able to access the internet, and everything was fine. Now, when I went to setup the 1-1 NAT translation, I tried entering the range of 192.168.100.2, and it wouldn't allow me to continue, saying it had to be on the 192.168.0.* subnet for 1-1 NAT routing. This seems like a pretty serious limitation, as having all the public IP's on the same internal network as the router is a pretty large security risk. 

I can provide more information as needed, I'm really stumped. I don't know if it's possible to do what I'm trying to do without adding an additional router, but that is not the preferable solution. 

Thanks in advanced!

-Will

1 Reply 1

cchamorr
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

Thank you for the very good explanation and the diagram.

To make what could be a really long post very short, I will say that you are right. This is a limitation of the device and it will not be able to use any other addresses on any other subnets than the 192.168.0.x as this router is not VLAN capable.

When you use the multiple subnets feature, it is basically like creating a static route to another subnet not hosted by the router, that's why you cannot use it for any rules.

My recommendation is to change the RV042 and get a RV320, it has the same capabilities, including Dual WAN, but it is also 802.1q compatible so it will support creating multiple VLANS and routing traffic to and from them. It also has the one to one NAT rules feature.

I hope this helps.