cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't forward specific ports, others forward without any trouble

ctimm
Level 1
Level 1

We have a RV042G. I went to forward ports 139 and 445 for some trial SMB networking. These ports won't forward. I have other ports that forward (such as 25 and 3389) without any problems but these 2 ports won't forward. 

As a test, I'm able to setup PnP to forward 1339 to 139 on the same host but 139 to 139 doesn't work.

I can also telnet the host on the local network on these ports without any problem. Why would these specific ports be blocked?

2 Replies 2

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I don't know - but I rely hope you are not trying to do SMB over the open Internet.  If you are then expected to get picked on a lot by port scanners and hackers.

This is not in the least bit helpful. People like you ruin these forums. Not once did I ask if this was a good idea or not. Work on your spelling before you stand at your pulpit giving advice on what they should or should not do.

Obviously it will get picked on by port scanners and hackers. That may be my purpose and you have no idea as to what my purpose may be.

I'm trying to figure out why this doesn't work on this particular unit. I can do it with other RV042 units, just not this one. Is it a firmware update? Is it purposely blocked in different firmware versions? 

If there's anyone that can help with the italicized questions above and not just give advice, you're help would be appreciated.