cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't ping my RV016 on WAN1 port (external IP)

ivanospina
Level 1
Level 1

Hello team,

What I am trying to do should be simple for someone that is familiar with these routers. I am trying to setup an RV016 router to do "1 to 1 NAT". I am starting with setting the external IP address of my RV016 to 10.8.58.219 on the WAN1 port, and LAN IP 10.10.20.254. Simple enough. When I connect my laptop to port1 on the router's LAN side I can ping the router's external AND internal IP addresses fine; But I can not ping from outside when connected through WAN1 port.

I am performing a simple local test with an external hub, I put a patch cable from WAN1 port to the hub, another patch cable from port 1 on LAN side to the same hub, and from my laptop to the hub. When I use my laptop's IP address with the internal schema (10.10.20.100 for example) I can ping both WAN1 and LAN IP's; but when I use on my laptop the external IP schema (10.8.58.100 for example) I can not ping it. Therefore is not working when I connect my router to the real network.

I went into the web setup pages of the router and dissabled: firewall and basicaly all security "blocks" it has, and leave it open for my testing.

*****   Any suggestions whatsoever would be appreciated.

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

ivanospina
Level 1
Level 1

Well!! since I don;t get replies, I keep digging into this router, I found that if I out a static route (setup/advanced network) with the default gateway pointing to the external default gateway that my external IP addresses point to, then from the router (throug diagnostics) I can ping my devices. But from outside I can't still ping the router external IP (WAN1). My router's firewall still off to avoid any security blocks.

***** Please smart IT guys, I need at least ideas...

Thanks!

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center.

To create a 1 to 1 NAT define internal and external IP address ranges of equal length. Once the relationship is defined, the device with the first internal IP address is accessible at the first IP address in the external IP address range, and so forth.

For example, you have a Local Area Network (LAN) for which the ISP has assigned the IP address range of 209.19.28.16 to 209.19.28.31, with 209.19.28.16 used as the Wide Area Network (WAN) or NAT public IP address of the Router.

The address range of 192.168.168.1 to 192.168.168.255 is used for the devices on the LAN. With One-to-One NAT, the devices with the internal IP addresses of 192.168.168.2 to 192.168.168.15 may be accessed at the corresponding external IP addresses.

NOTE: The Router’s WAN IP address should not be included in the range you specify.

To setup one to one NAT do the following:

One-to-One NAT Select Enable to use the One-to-One NAT function.

Add Range

Private Range Begin Enter the starting IP address of the internal IP address range. This is the IP address of the first device that can be accessed from the Internet.

Public Range Begin Enter the starting IP address of the public IP address range. This IP address is provided by the ISP. (Do not include the Router’s WAN IP Address.)

Range Length Enter the number of IP addresses in the range. The range length cannot exceed the number of valid IP addresses. To map a single address, enter 1.

Click Add to List, and configure as many entries as you would like, up to a maximum of ten. To delete an entry, select it and click Delete selected range.

NOTE: One-to-One NAT affects how the firewall functions work. Access to LAN devices from the Internet is allowed unless additional Deny access rules are configured on the Firewall > Access Rules screen.

Click Save Settings to save your changes, or click Cancel Changes to undo them

If you have any issues with these instructions or require any additional help please call into our Small Business Support Center and any of our answering agents will be glad to assist you further.

The toll-free numbers to contact the support center can be found here :
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

Please note that prior to calling, we recommend registering on the Cisco.com, and have the serial number of your device at hand, in order to facilitate the creation of a service request ticket.

Eric Moyers
Cisco Network Support Engineer
1-866-606-1866

Wizard4777
Level 1
Level 1

Please disable Block WAN Requestdisable.JPG