Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco RV016 Failover & Load Balance Multi WAN Issue

bencarroll01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I think the RV016 is the correct device to buy for our small building but I am a little confused from the manual whether my intended configuration is possible, so if you could confirm if this is possible I would appreciate it.

We have a leased line as our primary connection (lets call it WAN1). If this connection is available I don't want to load balance on any other WAN.

We have 2 identical netgear 4G devices (call them WAN 2 and WAN 3). If the leased line is unavailable, I would like to then load balance these two WAN connections.

I then have a final connection, WAN4 as a slow adsl backup line. I do not know at present whether I want to load balance this in a WAN1 failure or just have it as a backup to WAN2 and WAN3 (WAN2 and WAN3 have a 20gb data limit each on their monthly contract allowance, if the leased line is down for more than a couple of days, which has unfortunately happened before, then we will hit this limit and then need to face either extremely expensive data charges or just use the ADSL alone)

Anyway, bottom line is under normal conditions I don't want to load balance. I only want to load balance WAN2 and WAN3 in the case of WAN1 failure.

Does anyone know if this is possible? If not, is there any other similar device which would suit?

Thank you

Ben

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mehdi Boukraa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Bencarroll01,

With RV016 you can achieve what you need.

RV016 support up to 7 WAN connection, and there is two working mode 

• Intelligent Balancer (Auto Mode): Select this option to balance traffic between all interfaces to increase the available bandwidth. The router balances the traffic between the interfaces in a weighted round robin fashion.
  • IP Group (By Users): Select this option to group traffic on each WAN interface by priority levels or classes of service (CoS). With this feature, you can ensure bandwidth and higher priority for the specified services and users. All traffic that is not added to the IP Group uses Intelligent Balancer mode. To specify the services and users, click the Edit icon for the WAN interface and then add protocol binding entries for each service, IP address, or range of IP addresses.

For our case we need to have RV016 configured with IP Group(By User) so in this case we can configure Protocol binding which we can specify and force all the traffic coming from any IP address from the local network going outside through WAN1. and other WAN connection they always UP but not traffic passing through them

now if WAN1 is Down, immediately the Rule for redirecting traffic to WAN 1 will be Disabled and all the traffic will be passing through the rest of the WAN connection

After that if the WAN1 is UP again the rule of protocol binding will be active again and again all the traffic will be through WAN 1

Please let me know if you have any others questions

Please rate this post or marked as answered to help other Cisco customers  

Greetings

Mehdi

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi bencarroll01,

The RV016 supports up to 7 wan connections and it would be possible to configure this for the setup that you want. if you need help looking for an alternative or help in looking for a local Cisco partner that would have a good price in your area please send me an email at fguasque@cisco.com. hope this helps!

Thanks

Thanks for the information I appreciate it, I have ordered this and can't wait for it to arrive! It will be nice to have some proper, automatic redundancy in place.

Mehdi Boukraa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Bencarroll01,

With RV016 you can achieve what you need.

RV016 support up to 7 WAN connection, and there is two working mode 

• Intelligent Balancer (Auto Mode): Select this option to balance traffic between all interfaces to increase the available bandwidth. The router balances the traffic between the interfaces in a weighted round robin fashion.
  • IP Group (By Users): Select this option to group traffic on each WAN interface by priority levels or classes of service (CoS). With this feature, you can ensure bandwidth and higher priority for the specified services and users. All traffic that is not added to the IP Group uses Intelligent Balancer mode. To specify the services and users, click the Edit icon for the WAN interface and then add protocol binding entries for each service, IP address, or range of IP addresses.

For our case we need to have RV016 configured with IP Group(By User) so in this case we can configure Protocol binding which we can specify and force all the traffic coming from any IP address from the local network going outside through WAN1. and other WAN connection they always UP but not traffic passing through them

now if WAN1 is Down, immediately the Rule for redirecting traffic to WAN 1 will be Disabled and all the traffic will be passing through the rest of the WAN connection

After that if the WAN1 is UP again the rule of protocol binding will be active again and again all the traffic will be through WAN 1

Please let me know if you have any others questions

Please rate this post or marked as answered to help other Cisco customers  

Greetings

Mehdi