cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco RV042 Mac-Addresses

zlively127
Level 1
Level 1

I have several Cisco RV042 routers that need to share the same exact configuration. I made one master config file and have been transfering them to the rest. Everything has been going fine until we noticed something.

When we view the ARP table when plugged into each individual device we get the same exact MAC on each one.

Some of these devices could end up on the same subnet when installed.. would these duplicate MAC's cause an issue?

I went into each device, they each have their unique MAC, I went to Mac Address Cloning and looked at the value and it matched the one in the ARP table. I changed the value and flushed the ARP table on the PC, the old MAC remains there. I rebooted the system same MAC still..

Is this even a big deal? Will these duplicate MAC's cause an issue if more than one of these devices exist on a subnet?

5 Replies 5

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Zachary,

Thank you for posting. I have a few questions about your configuration.

1. Did the config file that you originally created have "MAC Address from this PC:" enabled? If so you can disable that and copy the config file again to the other routers.
  2. Did you save the setting at the bottom of the page after you changed back to the default MAC Address?

If you change the MAC back to the default, save the settings and possibly reboot the router the MAC should be reverted back to the original. One more question: If the devices are on the same subnet, why would they be configured the same? I'm curious about what you will be using the routers for. Please reply when you get a chance.

1. Did the config file that you originally created have "MAC Address from this PC:" enabled? If so you can disable that and copy the config file again to the other routers.

The original config file does not have "MAC Address from this PC:" enabled.

2. Did you save the setting at the bottom of the page after you changed back to the default MAC Address?

Yes I did do that. Multiple times actually, and I rebooted it multiple times as well. The MAC that is showing up in the ARP table remains the same.

Thank you for your response.

-Zac

Hi Zachary,

Have you tried to flush the ARP cache? netsh interface ip delete arpcache

zlively127
Level 1
Level 1

Yeah, I flushed the ARP cache with that command you  listed everytime I made any change.

Zachary,

I can't say whether this will be an issue or not. I suspect that everything will be fine, although it is unusual that the PC is seeing the same MAC on multiple routers. My best recommendation is to set up two of the routers in the same network as a test and see if there is a conflict. Please let us know what the results are.