Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco RV180 problem with DHCP and Vlan

Razvan Popescu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a RV180 router and I need it mainly for routing a /26 subnet over three vlans

VLAN ID

IP Address

Subnet Mask

DHCP Mode

DNS Proxy Status

82.xx.xx.xx

DHCP Server

Enabled

DHCP Server

Enabled

DHCP Server

Enabled

vlan 1 (default)

will be the default one and will have the ip 82.x.x.x, on this vlan I want to put two webservers with static/external ip

vlan2

will be for office use with the ip 192.168.10.1. I need for this DHCP enabled to give computers the correct ip in form 192.168.10.x. I will be configuring the static DHCP later on for those comps.

vlan3

will be for management with the ip 192.168.3.1. I don’t need DHCP will be using a static ip.

VLAN ID

Description

Inter VLAN Routing

Device Management

Port 1

Port 2

Port 3

Port 4

Enabled

Enabled

Untagged

Untagged

Excluded

Excluded

Vlan2

Enabled

Enabled

Excluded

Excluded

Excluded

Untagged

Vlan3

Enabled

Enabled

Excluded

Excluded

Untagged

Excluded

Everything works, on port 1 the servers work with their static ip, on port 4 the office computers receive the correct ip from DHCP, 192.168.10.x and even on port 3 the dhcp works for my management ip. But randomly some computers start losing connectivity, some regain it but some won’t connect even if I use a static ip corresponding to their vlan. When I say they won’t connect I mean I can’t ping their gateway or the management ip of the router (all vlans have inter vlan routing enabled so no matter on what vlan I am, I can access the web interface for the router). It;s not from security settings on the computers or firewall.

I discovered they will connect if I use the static ip corresponding to vlan1 82.xx.xx.xx, but not the ip corresponding to their port number. DHCP stops working for a while, it will recover randomly.

What am I doing wrong? I don’t have other switches I could use for DHCP, I thought I could use some managed switches to solve the DHCP problem.

Thanks,

Razvan

1 Reply 1

Razvan Popescu
Level 1
Level 1

I tried with only two vlans and set the DHCP active only for the office "vlan2". Computers receive the correct ip but some of them won't register on the network, i tried to set the ip manualy on the computers but that computer will still be isolated.

Ex: computer A receives ip 192.168.10.25, Subnet 255.255.255.0, Gateway 192.168.10.1, for 2-3 minutes i can access the router on 192.168.10.1 and the internet, after a random time interval the gateway won't even respond to ping.It's not from firewall related issues as i set to accept all both incoming and outgoing. If i set a manual ip corresponding to vlan1 "default" everything works.It's like that computer is isolated so i believe it has to do with the asignment of Tagged, untagged and Excluded settings on the vlans.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: