cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco RV220W site to site vpn and internet access from single ip

oksbennett
Level 1
Level 1

Can I use a single Public IP address for both Internet access and site to site vpn access?

If not, can I configure the RV220W as a bridge and still use it via another gateway configured for vpn passthrough as a VPN appliance/server on the LAN?

3 Replies 3

jasbryan
Level 6
Level 6

Scot,

You would need two separate public IP address for two different gateway routers. – Unless you are thinking about having them cascaded behind each other.

Really need a topology of your network, and knowledge on what you are trying to accomplish to give adequate advice

Thanks,

Jasbryan

Jasbryan,

Thanks for your reply.  I am not very technical. 

I have purchased two Cisco RV220W small business routers.  They currently serve as my gateways to the internet at two seperate offices (my home and business office).  Also, I have only one static IP address at each office.

Now I want to setup a site to site vpn between these two but do not want to lose internet access at either office.

Basically, I have appliances (not computers) that need access to the VPN but users who still need access to the internet. Since the access to the VPN needs to be gven to appliances, there is no way to load or use a client based VPN.  This is why I would like to set up a site to site VPN.  I was hoping it was just a routing issue (i.e. the use of static routes).  Is it possible to do both with a single IP address?

Thanks

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

Scot,

RV220W can function as a firewall and VPN endpoint with one single WAN IP address.